• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upper bolt snapped during shackle install...HELP!

97xjcrawler

NAXJA Forum User
So I have been working hard this weekend to get my 1.5in. Teraflex BB installed and all has went well until just a little bit ago. In the process of removing the stock shackles I snapped the upper shackle to frame bolt. I was able to get both upper and lower shackle bolts out on the passenger side using PB blaster, heat, and a breaker bar. Using the same method on the drivers side I just about had the upper bolt out of the nut welded inside the frame rail when...SNAP! the bolt broke(not the welded nut as most people have trouble with).

I might be able to heat the remaining bolt up really friggin hot and lock some vice-grips on it and get it out but i ran out of daylight so I haven't tried it yet. If this doesn't work does anybody have any ideas on how to get the remaining piece out? There really isn't room to drill the bolt out or to use an extractor. The only other thing I can think of is to drop the gas tank and drill through the frame rail to the bolt and drill it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!x10

So I have been working hard this weekend to get my 1.5in. Teraflex BB installed and all has went well until just a little bit ago. In the process of removing the stock shackles I snapped the upper shackle to frame bolt. I was able to get both upper and lower shackle bolts out on the passenger side using PB blaster, heat, and a breaker bar. Using the same method on the drivers side I just about had the upper bolt out of the nut welded inside the frame rail when...SNAP! the bolt broke(not the welded nut as most people have trouble with).

I might be able to heat the remaining bolt up really friggin hot and lock some vice-grips on it and get it out but i ran out of daylight so I haven't tried it yet. If this doesn't work does anybody have any ideas on how to get the remaining piece out? There really isn't room to drill the bolt out or to use an extractor. The only other thing I can think of is to drop the gas tank and drill through the frame rail to the bolt and drill it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!x10
I had to sawzall it, and make in incision, remove the remainer and go with new nut and bolt

sorry to hear about that - what a pain. If enough of the bolt is sticking out, you might try using a grinder or a dremel with a small grinder head on it. Grind two parallel flat surfaces on opposite sides of the bolt and then try getting a big crescent wrench on it. Good luck.

Heat the bolt red hot with an acetylene torch, then douse it quickly with water. Should be able to unscrew it with your fingers. It even works on exhaust manifold fasteners.

Unfortunately, propane and MAP gas torches aren't hot enough in my experience. They can still help though, if you get it nice a hot then squirt some parts blaster in there, as it cools it will help wick it into the threads. Doesn't work nearly as well though.

I have a feeling he probley saying its will come out after it cools by your fingers.

Thanks for the ideas so far but keep em coming...I have tried welding a nut to the end of the snapped bolt, no luck...unfortunately I don't have access to an acetylene torch only a propane torch.

I was thinking about dropping my gas tank and making an access hole from the inner side of the frame rail, then I might be able to get a bolt extractor to it...anybody oppose that idea?

Your talking about the upper shackle bolt that goes into the frame right? Because I see alot of people saying/thinking there is a nut involved. I ran into the same problem when I installed my 2" RC shackles. The factory bolt snapped when using the handle of a HI LIFT Jack to break it free. I cut the old shackle off using a sawzall, then heated up the remaining bolt for about 5 minutes using a propane torch... then took a pair of vice grips and it came right now.

ITS ALWAYS WISE to soak EVERYTHING with PB Blaster or something similar at least a week before installing a lift, no matter how big or small your rust problem is. Saves alot of time and beer during install.

Just my 2 cents.

But good luck, I know how bad it sucks... and im pretty sure your getting a ride to work tomorrow like I had to, with the XJ probably being your Daily Driver.

oh, and dont drill it out! Unless you have the tools to tap and re-thread the hole. Just cut the factory shackle right down the middle through the bushing, pull off what you can, then torch the broken bolt.

It works, just takes some time.

Your talking about the upper shackle bolt that goes into the frame right? Because I see alot of people saying/thinking there is a nut involved. I ran into the same problem when I installed my 2" RC shackles. The factory bolt snapped when using the handle of a HI LIFT Jack to break it free. I cut the old shackle off using a sawzall, then heated up the remaining bolt for about 5 minutes using a propane torch... then took a pair of vice grips and it came right now.

ITS ALWAYS WISE to soak EVERYTHING with PB Blaster or something similar at least a week before installing a lift, no matter how big or small your rust problem is. Saves alot of time and beer during install.

Just my 2 cents.

But good luck, I know how bad it sucks... and im pretty sure your getting a ride to work tomorrow like I had to, with the XJ probably being your Daily Driver.

Yeah its my daily driver...and I had been soaking everything with PB blaster a couple times per day a week before the install. Im thinking instead of drilling it out and retapping it I can drop the gas tank, cut an access hole from the backside, and use and extractor and heat to get the bolt out...oh and I am still putting PB on the broken bolt piece...the sh!t does work!!

My only concern, my friend is, that when you go to drop your gas tank, you'll end up breaking a bolt with that.....then you are screwed X2.....

Trust us....cut the upper shackle in the middle and remove the shackle from the upper bolt. Get your *ss to Home Depo and get a MAP gas torch....grind 2 flat spots on the bolt with a dremil.....get that bolt cherry hot.....then soak it with PB blaster.....apply monkey/pipe wrench to broken bolt...give it a little love at a time...DO NOT BREAK WHAT IS LEFT....repeat the heat/PB Blaster/twist.......Heat/PB Blaster/twist....
You will eventualy win...or burn down you jeep :doh:....either way problem solved.

Good luck and keep us posted

If you don't grab the red hot bolt with your fingers, it just won't come out. Something about the fat from your burning flesh just helps to lubricate the threads.

If you are doing a lot of work on vehicles and they use road salt where you live, invest in an oxy-acetylene torch, and plan ahead of time on replacing all your fasteners. Dropping the gas tank is a PITA, especially if there's gas in it, and those bits are all likely to be even rustier. Wouldn't it be easier to track down a torch to borrow? At least try it with a MAP torch first, you can buy one of those at Walmart. And be careful not to melt your carpeting while you're torching.

Last edited:
I could track down a torch but the problem is there is not enough bolt sticking out to grab onto it or grind the sides down. I actually just had the gas tank out a few months ago to replace my fuel pump, and I hacked off the old rusted hangers and replaced them and added wing nuts...so dropping the tank should be a breeze.

In case I was too vague in the OP, the shackle is completely removed...all thats left is a bolt broke off in the frame rail with at most 1/8in. sticking out.

n1ywb, good advice on the finger fat I will definately keep that in mind.

Thanks so far everone!!! Will keep posted

Bummer. maybe you should just cut a hole in the trunk floor pan and cut the welds on the nut. thats what folks usually do when the welds break and the nut spins.

Back