• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 AW4 in a comanche, can I do it?

purvisdotcom

NAXJA Forum User
I've been searching for the manual to auto thread I remember from like a year ago. I would be buying a donor 97 4.0 jeep to swap out my peugeot from my 89 4.0 comanche, so any computers, etc would come with. Is there any compelling problem that will crop up with this swap?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Are you swapping the whole drivetrain or just the tranny?

Double check the spline count. 1989 was the transition year for the tranny, so double check that you've got the peugot. The 89 AX-15 had a 23-spline, btw.

You will most likely need a donor 89 to grab all the other misc parts that you'll need. Frankly without an easy source for those parts it's cheaper and simpler to sell what you got and buy what you want.

As for the tranny computers, you can either use an renix era AW4 computer or the 97 trans computer. You'll have to do a bit of wiring either way to splice everything into the existing wiring harness. The big difference is that the Renix TCU will require installing the dual output TPS sensor. If you go with the 97 computer, you should be able to splice into the single output on the existing TPS. Reason is that the Renix TCU needed to see the voltage backwards from what the engine received, and the HO onward reversed that and the TCU expected the same voltage range as the ECU.

I was thinking more along the lines of all the other misc stuff you need, such as the shifter, shift cable, trim bezel, xfer case linkage, rear drive shaft, possibly the front drive shaft, power/comfort switch, NSS, appropriate flex plate, tranny mount, etc.

Having swapped a 99 AW4 in place of an 89 AW4, I can attest that getting a donor transmission and computer is just the start.

Back