• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problem with Steering

Chris789

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

I have an 89' XJ with a dana 30 vacuum disconnect. The jeep has a 6 inch lift. I recently replaced the passenger side axle and inner axle with a one pc axle. Also, I welded the front diff. After it was complete, I test drove it and it seemed to drive fine. Please note, this is just a ridge runner and not a daily driver. Well, I went to load it on the trailer and noticed I could not turn is easily to the left. Actually I had a very hard time getting it to turn left at all. It eventually would turn to the left but not consistent. It didn't matter if it was in 2 or 4 wheel drive. I looked at the linkage and it would rub a little but no way this is the cause. Also, I noticed fluid coming from the passenger axle. I guess I needed to replace the seals. Could low diff fluid cause this steering issue since the gears are welded? Any help is appreciated.

1. Did you machine/install a seal in the diff where the passenger axles enters the pumpkin like the seal on the drivers side? If you just shoved a 1 pc shaft in there, there's no seal on the machined area of the shaft where it enters the pumpkin, so yes it will leak, and probably pretty bad.

2. With welded gears, you get no differential action, so plan on driving in straight lines.

Back