• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

keep stripping crossmember nutserts

whatevah

It's Yellah!
Anybody else have issues stripping the crossmember nutserts? Since the TNT Y-Link was installed, 4 of the 6 bolts have fallen out. The only two still holding are the ones in front of the two normal locations that we tapped to install the new bolts. The others have stripped and fallen out. I noticed it happening and tried to tighten the bolts, but they were loose enough to tighten by hand and didn't hold more than a couple minutes.

I'm not suprised that the passenger side fell out, since I already had issues with them a year ago and had to retap them after they simply disappeared on the trail. But the drivers side is confusing since that isn't exposed to the same torque strain as the passenger side. The single passenger side bolt appears to be holding, but the single drivers side bolt keeps loosening and doesn't seem to be gripping very well when I tighten it. I'm afraid to get it snug, that it would blow the threads out. Really, the only thing holding up the crossmember is the big bolt attached to the TNT bracket on the side of the framerail.

At any rate, I'm trying to figure out what to do. Helicoils? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to drive this thing again, although I love driving the 300M. air conditioning... gas mileage... nice seats... autostick trans... I get to work a lot faster now. ;)

Last edited:
I've broke or stripped all 4 of mine at this point. The 2 passenger side ones I drilled out and then from the floor plugs on the inside removed what remained in the c-channel. Then I made my own nut certs using 1/4" flat stock, grade 8 hardware, and a welder.

It was a bit of time and effort but after breaking 2 studs, stripping 2 nutcerts, drilling and taping said stripped nut certs, breaking the bolts in them AGAIN, I had had enough.

I've had no problem with the 6 bottom bolts on my Y-link. Try opening up the 'frame' rail from inside the vehicle and dropping a new 'nut strip' in for the bolts. Mine are all bolted into a 1/4" thick plate that is tapped for the bolts.

Back