• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tera low/231 question

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I have searched and can't find the answer I want. Does the case "length" change any with the kit? I'm budgeting money for the upgrade and wanted to know if I need to factor in the cost of a DS.

I already have a Advance Adapters SYE and I also plan on a 2-low kit at the same time.

Will my locked/locked D-30/8.25 combo with alloy shafts and 33's hold up to the increased torque?

I'm easy on the skinny when I can be but there are times when you have to "throttle out".

Last edited:
Will my locked/locked D-30/8.25 combo with alloy shafts and 33's hold up to the increased torque?

Ya know, that is an outstanding question. The sticky says 33s are about the limit for a locked 8.25, but it doesn't mention gearing for the rear end or xfer case.

My guess would be that it was written using stock components, therefore 4:1 and 4.56s would put something in jepordy.

So far my HP30/8.8 (both with stock shafts and locked) have survived turning 33s with a Teralow 4:1, 4.88s and 2-low. Your planned combo is *exactly* like mine with the exception of a 8.8 instead of an 8.25.

With the 4.88s, it is almost too low geared with the 33s, but I like it.

If you're worried, sell the 8.25 (shouldn't be hard) and throw in a 8.8.

Ya know, that is an outstanding question. The sticky says 33s are about the limit for a locked 8.25, but it doesn't mention gearing for the rear end or xfer case.

My guess would be that it was written using stock components, therefore 4:1 and 4.56s would put something in jepordy.

all depends on what you do with it, I don't think you would have a problem with 33s as long as you don't abuse it. With the price of that tera low kit you might want to consider a 241or case from a rubicon, 5000k lbs torq rating Vs 2000 with the 231.

all depends on what you do with it, I don't think you would have a problem with 33s as long as you don't abuse it. With the price of that tera low kit you might want to consider a 241or case from a rubicon, 5000k lbs torq rating Vs 2000 with the 231.

True, but you can't do a 2-low with a NV241OR and the speed sensor has to be changed if you want a speedo IIRC. The TeraLow case half is also beefed up compared to the stock 231 case.

Opie runs a Teralow in the comp car, 4.0L/AX-15, and when we're on the course, he gets it. No problems yet. Like, he makes me cringe. I would be very suprised if the Teralow let go before axle components...he beats on his with an HP44, alloys and CTMs.

True, but you can't do a 2-low with a NV241OR and the speed sensor has to be changed if you want a speedo IIRC. The TeraLow case half is also beefed up compared to the stock 231 case.

Yep I have researched that option, the speed sensor thing seems to be a small issue, the JK Rubi 241OR has the 2-low kit available for it.

http://www.teraflex.biz/products/shop-by-category/low-range/jk-wrangler-241-or-2low-kit.html

I don't need an Atlas or the like, no use doing a front dig with a d-30!

Huh, didn't know they came out with that. $230! That expands your budget quite a bit.

Watch the classifieds for a used TeraLow, I picked mine up for $600 shipped with very few miles.

Opie runs a Teralow in the comp car, 4.0L/AX-15, and when we're on the course, he gets it. No problems yet. Like, he makes me cringe. I would be very suprised if the Teralow let go before axle components...he beats on his with an HP44, alloys and CTMs.

Huh, didn't know they came out with that. $230! That expands your budget quite a bit.

Watch the classifieds for a used TeraLow, I picked mine up for $600 shipped with very few miles.

I'm Opie... My tera-low has very few miles... :greensmok

Honestly - last competition, I was air born, pedal to the floor, 2nd gear, low range with my tera low, landed, and everything is still functioning just fine...
:anon:

I would not be concerned for your 8.25 with the extra gearing... I think the added control will probably out benefit the extra stress of more torque...

as was mentioned above... the teralow is a BOLT IN affair... no driveshaft mods, no floor clearancing, no shifter modifications - just bolt it in in an afternoon, and go wheeling the next weekend...

Well, but you ease off the clutch and you drive so smooth...and you never let Katie get totally jacked on the gas tank and front axle...:anon:

I'm Opie... My tera-low has very few miles... :greensmok

Honestly - last competition, I was air born, pedal to the floor, 2nd gear, low range with my tera low, landed, and everything is still functioning just fine...
:anon:

I would not be concerned for your 8.25 with the extra gearing... I think the added control will probably out benefit the extra stress of more torque...

as was mentioned above... the teralow is a BOLT IN affair... no driveshaft mods, no floor clearancing, no shifter modifications - just bolt it in in an afternoon, and go wheeling the next weekend...

besides the whole ripping your xfer case apart to install it... The 241OR is also drop in in that sense it plugs in ans they make adapters to let you run 1310 ujoints with it. The only "issue" is the speedo. Also it's a stock case so parts will be easier to get in the event something happens.

I ve been running a Tera 4.1 and 2 low with d30 and 8.25 alloyed with 35's for 4 years now on the rocks. No problems at all. Run good synthetic ATF in it and it will be a lot quieter. On the 241 you will have to change the output yokes to match ur current D shaft. Call Performance Offroad Center (PORC) for good pricing on the tera 4.1. I got mine for quite a bit less than a used 241. As far as "ripping the case apart" for install. Its no different than installing an SYE except for pulling the case from the tranny, which you have to do for the 241 also.

Last edited:
Back