• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DW fix?

webwurm99

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 XJ on 31x10.50s with a 3 in. Rusty's lift. I've been having some DW issues, mostly hitting bumps at 75 mph. I Have some play in just about every steering component. I need to get this fixed before I move, in about 3 weeks.

Here is what I'm thinking:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Trac-Bar - Adjustable Front (Rusty's)
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Tie Rod - HD Replacement (Rusty's)
TREs for Drag Link (OEM)
Tire rotation and balance
Alignment

What I'm wondering is, how likely is this to fix my DW, And am I overlooking anything?

I hope I'm atleast on the right track.

thanks,
Billy

[/SIZE][/FONT]

Stay away from rusty trac bar, i hear guys talking about how it just breaks driving down the road..Make sure you have tighten ever thing under the front

Start with the tire balance then replace the steering components. With my old rig with Rusty's 3 inch coils I ran a stock track bar, so you may not need an adjustable.

Do you have stock control arms? Are the bushings worn? When I had that lift, new lower control arms fixed my wobble. I probably didn't need whole new arms, but just the bushings.

Good Luck

the rough country adj track bar is similarly priced. hows your steering stabilzer? a new one might help a bunch.

CanMan said:
I wouldnt try to mask worn parts with a new steering stabilizer.
i knew someone was gonna say this. the point is he's trying to find a solution quickly. he can fine tune things after his move.

tigerShark said:
i knew someone was gonna say this. the point is he's trying to find a solution quickly. he can fine tune things after his move.

So what if a TRE sheers or the TB lets loose, then what is he going to do in the middle of his move? A new steering stabilizer isnt going to help the already worn parts from breaking. They are a waste of money IMO. He could spend his $50(whatever a new steering stabilizer costs) and buy a good used steering setup or TB or whatever he needs and be safe on the road.

i would definately check the steering stabilizer though. i had the same problem where everything under the front was tightened to spec and come to find out after a couple trips the bolt on the axle side of the stabilizer was loose and letting the steering have play. put a lock washer on it and no problems since

Sorry I haven't been back, I've been sick. :(

I'm having second thoughts on the parts. Now I'm thinking Crown steering upgrade kit, and Rough Country adj. trackbar.

Has anyone used the Crown kit? I've got a good price but it says for 91-01 Cherokee, is there a reason it wont work on my 89?

By the way, everything is tightened up and my stabilizer is almost new. The LCA bushings are worm but still seem pretty solid.

Thanks for the input,
Billy

wheel bearing or I think now it is a hub assembly can give DW along with worn out bearing in the steering box plus what you listed. I'd leave the steering stabilizer alone until you fix the DW . A steering stabalizer is to make the new parts you will add just last a little longer ,not a cover up tool.

scottmcneal said:
Stay away from rusty trac bar, i hear guys talking about how it just breaks driving down the road..Make sure you have tighten ever thing under the front

That should be stay away from Rusty's. Although his new ultraflexy flares look promising. The suspension stuff is junk. DJ Josh broke a trackbar, and there's a youtube video of some rubicon that rolled after a rusty's track bar broke.

Okay, I ordered the Rough Country adj, track bar. I'm still wondering about the Crown HD steering upgrade kit. The kit seems alot like the ZJ upgrade (1 in. solid steel) but the site says 91-01 XJ. Can anyone tell me if it'll fit on my 89, or will I have to do some drilling to fit the TREs in?

Thanks,
Billy

Did you check out RJR offroad? I put that same set-up on my 89.. I love it...Here is a pic.. HTH

tierod2.jpg

I've looked at the Rugged Ridge setup too, but I don't know the strength difference between 1.75 tube with .25 in. wall, and 1 in. solid. The Crown however has a steering stabilizer, which seems better for me, as I commute 100 mi. per day.

Back