• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 XJ driver's door won't unlock

theguywiththehair

NAXJA Forum User
The problem is as the title implies. the lock had to be turned quickly and in a certain way to open it for a few months, and now nothing at all. Access is limited, and I've sprayed everything I can get close to. Figured more than one person has had this problem.

Worn out tumbler or key perhaps? Does the key work fine on the other locks?

Best bet is taking the door apark and checking it out firsthand.

3 things can be wrong.

Lock failed internally.

The rod connecting the lock to the door latch failed.

The door latch failed.

All three will require to pull the door trim to get inside the door to repair, so no use in avoiding it, pull the door trim and watch the internal workings as you turn the key.

Key turns, but the rod does NOT move, then the lock cylinder failed internally, make sure the lever coming out of the lock cylinder is solid and not a lot of play in it.

Disconnect the rod and operate the lever on the door latch manually, if locks/unlocks the door normally, then you'll know if its the latch.

Both work fine, maybe the rod got bent or came disconnected, bend the rod back or reconnect.

Often, the little lever on the end of the lock cylinder wears and comes free from the internal part of the lock cylinder. i.e. the lock cylinder turns, but its no longer turns the lever on the end of it, thus never moves the rod to the latch.

If thats the case, get a lock cylinder kit, if it doesn't have any tumblers, you may have to cut open the old lock cylinder and take them out and fit them in the new kit. Or take it to a locksmith with your key and have him key it. Its pretty simple to key the lock cylinder, especially the kits that come already apart and are designed to be put together with simple tools. You just need the tumblers, a lot of Chrysler dealers (NOT all though) have someone at the part desks that knows how to do it and has a box of tumblers, they can often just key your lock cylinder kit for you at the parts counter.

x2 on the rod being bent out of place, I just fixed a friends with the same problem. it just took some finageling to get it right. Door panels are super simple to take off. it's like 3 screws, then pop the panel starting from a bottom corner that's about it.

Put a little grease on the snap-ins that hold the panel in place. That will let them go in easier and less likely to break, and will come out easier if you have to pull the panel again.

Perhaps I should have been a little clearer. From what I see here, the cylinder seems to be the cause. It will lock the door, but not unlock it. The key turns the full quarter turn to the left, but not quite all the way to the right. It stops just a few degrees short. When it did unlock, it would turn all the way, and an obvious "click" would be heard. For a while, no click meant no entry.

Also, I can't seem to get the panel all the way off. The bezel for the door handle and lock button won't come off without dropping the rods. I've been into quite a few doors, but this has to be the tightest quarters and the sharpest edges I've ever found. Most I can do is pull back one corner, across the bottom, and half way up the front. I'm also reluctant to tear up the seal, but at this point, I don't much care.

Thanks for the replies. I'll check back later if I can't figure it out.

drop the rods,
they come right off. there is a little plastic piece clipped around the rod ends they snap off and rotate so you can pull the rods directly up and out. hope that makes sense. if the rods are bent it could inhibit the key from turning.
good luck

Back