• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 TO AX15 SWAP

a1collier

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyine know of a link to a write up about this swap? Any help would be great. Thanks for ur help.

He didn't mention what year, but his profile says 1990 which wouldn't need a ECM swap to get rid of the check engine light.

As far as the swap, here's a quick brain dump - although it's probably not complete. You'd need the clutch and clutch master. Pull up the center console and swap out the base plate for the shifter and the trim bezel when you stick it all back on. Also verify that the donor AX15 and the AW4 has the same output shaft spline count. I think your AW4 has 21 and the AX15 will be 23? The AW4 is an inch longer, so you may need to swap axle shafts. The xfer case linkage is a bit different too. The pivot point on the body is 2" further forward on the AW4 and being 1" longer, means the shift rod is 3" longer too. You'll need to mess with the wiring to bypass the NSS and hookup the reverse light switch. Just unplug the TCU and tie the extra wires up somewhere.

yea. there both 90 models. thanks for the input. Also should i keep the 242 thats in it or throw in a lowering kit into that 231 thats already on the ax15? Shit,the motor is a 93 though. Forgot to mention that. Thanks again. what year"s of 8.8's will fit in that?

You'll need the flywheel to match the year of the ECM. I saw another thread recently about the pilot bearing that talked about what part number you'd need.

Back