• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 XJ wont start is not getting fuel

Chris789

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 XJ. It will not start. It is not getting fuel. When the ignition is in the on position the fuel pump will not run. But, when you are cranking the engine, the fuel pump runs, but does not start. When you put gas in the intake it will run until the gas is gone. I have swapped the fuel relay and no change. I have also replaced the CPS. I think it may be the ECM. Is there anything else I should replace before buying a new ECM?

Thanks,

Chris

sounds like faulty wiring or a fuel pump that is going out. Have you checked the voltage when the key is turned on?

I ran power directly to the fuel pump and the fuel pump works properly. I didn't check the voltage though. Are you thinking that it could be a bad ignition switch?

Thanks for replying.

Power for the fuel pump ballast resistor originates at the starter relay. Might want to take a look there as well as the ballast resistor on the driver side inner fender. Like you said your ignition switch could be bad.

when you powered the fuel pump did it start? Push in the valve stem looking thing on the fuel rail and see if gas comes out.

PuddinHead said:
Have you replaced the fuel filter? Have you checked to see what the fuel pressure is (if any) at the rail?
IIRC there is no fuel filter, there is only a screen that is part of the fuel pump.

When I powered the fuel pump it did not start. The engine will run when I put fuel directly into the intake. Fuel does flow from the fuel rail. I just don't think that the injectors are working properly and when the fuel pump does not run when the ignition switch is in the on position leaves me to believe it could be the ECM.

Well your pump run for 3 seconds only after turning the key to on. then it runs during crank over mode and of course after startup, this is all controlled by the ECU. Check your TPS and MAP sensor connections, and if you just did your CPS check it again.But if it runs with gas down intake then your getting spark?

The ballast resistor is bypassed during start. Simply put a jumper across the 2 terminals and try again.

It's purpose is to lower the voltage to the pump to quiet it down. Many run without it.

Yes, I am getting fire. I have disconnected/connected every wire connection I could find. I will try using the jumper on the ballist. I appreciate everyones input. This really helps to have other people views. Thanks...

oo7ravisXJ said:
IIRC there is no fuel filter, there is only a screen that is part of the fuel pump.

nope. fuel filter is the canister right up next to the fuel tank and is replaceable. There is one in the tank as well, commonly known as the sock.

oo7ravisXJ said:

DEAD WRONG!!!!

There is a filter on the RENIX models. It is located just in front of the tank, on the driver side frame rail.

Change the filter and see if that helps.

If you need to know how to change the pump, I just did a write-up a few days ago.

I will change the filter, it probably needs it anyway. But, should the fuel pump run when the key is in the on position. Again, it does run when you try to start it.

I think my XJ has gremlins! Now the XJ will start and stay running as long as I hold the key in the start position. As soon as I release the key and it returns to the On position it quits running. Now, I think it may be the ignition switch. Your thoughts...

Chris789 said:
I think my XJ has gremlins! Now the XJ will start and stay running as long as I hold the key in the start position. As soon as I release the key and it returns to the On position it quits running. Now, I think it may be the ignition switch. Your thoughts...

Could be. Did you try bypassing the ballast resistor?

The fuel pump doesn't run off of the balast resistor. It simply uses the 12V post as a convenient attachment for the fuse link that powers the relay contacts.

I just went thru the engine compartment harness and can verify this first hand.

I would bet on your Ignition switch has either moved or failed.

It may not run off the ballast resistor, but it does run through it. My 89 will not run with a wire off of the resistor. It starts and runs for about three seconds and then dies.

Back