• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need some quick help diagnosing axle whine (8.25)

philip_g

NAXJA Forum User
my rear axle is making a loud whine at 45-50 and above, when I'm ON the gas, if I let off the gas it gets quiet, back on, loud

I've got the axle apart, carrier is out and carrier bearings feel smooth as glass, axle is out and wheel bearings feel fine, with everything together there's no grinding or dragging when I spin the wheels.
Any ideas what I should replace? I haven't checked the pinion bearing but there's no leakage there or slop at all. I'm not sure how else to check it.

Should I just replace every bearing?

Last edited:
85xjwoody said:
I would still check the pinion bearings. Was the oil good when you took the cover off?
oil was clean and diff was sealed with RTV so I think someone had changed it before I got the rig, how else can I check the pinion bearings? I pulled the DS and there is zero slop up/down side/side or in/out in the yolk and no fluid leaks.

Some times gears just whine a bit. It could jsut be the gears themselves. If they aren't set within certain specs they will whine. Usually this whine is the worst between 40-50 mph which is what we drive a lot of the time.

85xjwoody said:
Have you had this noise since bought from the previous owner? Driveshaft u-joints good?
U joints feel good, I think the whine has gotten worse but maybe not.
Now I've got another problem, putting the carrier back in the stupid endcaps came apart so now I have to reset the backlash I guess?

Last edited:
C8.25s are kinda loud anyway, but the pinion bearing has been known to be a cause of more noise. Mine whined like that before I got my 4.56s installed in it...then it whined more. My D44 isn't nearly as bad.

Another post reminded me - you don't know the history, but if there's any chance this has used gears in it, they will whine and whine...and there's nothing useful you can do about it.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Yucca-Man said:
C8.25s are kinda loud anyway, but the pinion bearing has been known to be a cause of more noise. Mine whined like that before I got my 4.56s installed in it...then it whined more. My D44 isn't nearly as bad.

Another post reminded me - you don't know the history, but if there's any chance this has used gears in it, they will whine and whine...and there's nothing useful you can do about it.

Jim www.yuccaman.com
I don't think they're used, theyre just stock 3.55s

philip_g said:
U joints feel good, I think the whine has gotten worse but maybe not.
Now I've got another problem, putting the carrier back in the stupid endcaps came apart so now I have to reset the backlash I guess?

Shouldn't have to reset the backlash. Just put everything back together and try to put the carrier back in again.

set the backlash to about .05
now when I rotate the shafts there's a steady click click click click, I don't see anything that could be out of place so I think I'll just snag a used one and swap it, I'm out of fun tickets for the one weekend.

how hard can it be to put a freakin differential back together. I don't know where I could have gone wrong, I put the carrier back in, bolted it down, tightened the right cap to set the lash, tightened the left, tightened them both, rechecked lash, popped the axle in, knocked the spiders, fiddled with those, got them back in, got the axles in and gave them a spin, and all I hear is click click click it sounded like it was coming from the spiders. I don't understand how I could screw this up.

Sure the bearings are good in the axletubes? I picked up an 8.8 with bad bearings in the tubes and replaced them and now no noise.

85xjwoody said:
Sure the bearings are good in the axletubes? I picked up an 8.8 with bad bearings in the tubes and replaced them and now no noise.

yep, no issues I could see, no slop and felt smooth. Now I've screwed something up in the carrier and it's whining about 10 times louder, lol

I have done that before. LOL At least you tried. I really would love to have the right tools and knowledge and be able to do axle work. If you don't have your preload set just right and torque the nut correctly then forget it. Consider the bearings toast.

If you are on stock gearing then just pick another axle up at the JY. It shouldn't run you a lot of money and will be a direct bolt in, just get some new "U" bolts and call it good.

I have a 8.25 here at the house, I'm pretty sure it's 3.55 gears, but I think it's 27 spline, anyways cheap if you want it, take a look when you bring back the tool!

Terry

87xjco said:
I have a 8.25 here at the house, I'm pretty sure it's 3.55 gears, but I think it's 27 spline, anyways cheap if you want it, take a look when you bring back the tool!

Terry
probly take you up on that, you're not around tomorrow are you?

Yep, always here, no real job! :laugh3:

Well except Wednesday I'm going for a last trip up Carnage Boulder!

I'll check that axle out and make sure it's 3.55 ratio, I know it worked well in the 96 XJ it came out of!

Back