• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tire size? loss of power?

mitsumotors

NAXJA Forum User
right now i have 4.56 gears in my 8.25/d30 setup. i'm running 33x12.5" tires and find that i have a good amount of torque for offroading. i'm very happy with it actually. i am wanting to go to 35x12.5" tires but was just wondering, will the power loss be enought of a difference to make me unhappy with its offroad perfomance. and will there be enough strain on the 8.25 to do any damage while offroading with the bigger tires. i mean, in the sense that iw ould have to worry, i know anything is possible but should it be a concermn with this tire size? also, keep in mind that i don't wheel too often but when i do i don't want to have to worry about breaking stuff.

I also have 33's with stock gears on my 96 and i thing the 8.25 can handle 35's fine its the dana 35 up front you have to worry about. when im offroading i find im in low range most of the time

hhmmm.... but for me with the 4.56 gears and if i go to 35's i should be fine and not having to use low range all the time right? i mean how much of a difference can going from 33's to 35's make. i remember when i went from 29's to 31's i really didn't even feel much of a power loss.

I was thinking about the same thing, I got a 5 speed 4.56s lockes front and back. I decided to go with 33s. I thought it over, and I would not rather be stuck on a trail when the d30 up front breaks shafts and U joints. With 33s and lockers you will have a very capable rig. I got a d44 in the rear with an ected locker. I wont go 35s till I go bigger diff. in the front. Breaking stuff on trails suck!

4.56 and 35 arnt bad at all. get plenty of torque imo. i could pull a s10 blazer in a 14 ft trailer with little strain. but i didnt go over 25 mph. just dont advise anyone to do it.

mitsumotors said:
right now i have 4.56 gears in my 8.25/d30 setup. i'm running 33x12.5" tires and find that i have a good amount of torque for offroading. i'm very happy with it actually. i am wanting to go to 35x12.5" tires but was just wondering, will the power loss be enought of a difference to make me unhappy with its offroad perfomance. and will there be enough strain on the 8.25 to do any damage while offroading with the bigger tires. i mean, in the sense that iw ould have to worry, i know anything is possible but should it be a concermn with this tire size? also, keep in mind that i don't wheel too often but when i do i don't want to have to worry about breaking stuff.

Really? I am running 4.56s with 32x11.5s in my 2001 with a strong engine (maintenance and good upkeep) with 100,000 and I wish I had a bit more power when offroading. Maybe it's the engine but I think it's the tire/gear combo.

Back