• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

At what point does a steering upgrade become necessary?

Daedalus454

NAXJA Forum User
I just lifted my rig a bit more, and I was wondering at what point I would need a steering upgrade? With what I have now, I have right about 6.5" of lift up front over stock, and my drag link angle looks pretty steep, in fact the boot ripped on my pitman arm TRE and the passengers side boot is oozing grease (just replaced both a month ago).

Here's a picture:
DSC00469.jpg

I've seen a number of OTK flip options, I'm not asking for any specific recommendations, what I am looking for is, at what lift height or TRE angles do upgraded steering become advisable?

I searched, I got about 26 pages of different people asking "has anyone tried" questions about Goferit and Rusty's steering kits.

Daedalus454 said:
I just lifted my rig a bit more, and I was wondering at what point I would need a steering upgrade? With what I have now, I have right about 6.5" of lift up front over stock, and my drag link angle looks pretty steep, in fact the boot ripped on my pitman arm TRE and the passengers side boot is oozing grease (just replaced both a month ago).

Here's a picture:
DSC00469.jpg

I've seen a number of OTK flip options, I'm not asking for any specific recommendations, what I am looking for is, at what lift height or TRE angles do upgraded steering become advisable?

I searched, I got about 26 pages of different people asking "has anyone tried" questions about Goferit and Rusty's steering kits.

I would upgrade now and not use Rusty's stuff
use something one of our vendors sells, RJR Offroad has an upgrade for less than 200 IIRC.

**found it**

http://www.rjroffroad.com/rugged-ridge-hd-t-link-steering-system-for-jeep-cherokee-wrang-offroad-c-575-p-1-pr-17155.html

You do need it now, I would look at the JCR kit. Unlike most of the others, it offers better hi angle support, 1 ton ish strength, and you can walk into any parts house in the country to get replacement joints as needed.

Not to hijack the tread but, I'm looking to upgrade my steering as well. Is the RJR a good setup? Has anyone with this setup noticed a large improvement over stock w/ RJR? Is it worth the extra money to go with JCR?

RJR is selling a Rugged Ridge kit, which is made by Omix-Ada. I'm not a fan of the equipment.

JCR gives you the spicer part numbers with the kit and on their website to walk into any store and buy the ends Its not the best solution out there, but IMHO its the best bang for the buck as for as 'near bolt on' solutions go.

jerseyjeep01 said:
Not to hijack the tread but, I'm looking to upgrade my steering as well. Is the RJR a good setup? Has anyone with this setup noticed a large improvement over stock w/ RJR? Is it worth the extra money to go with JCR?

how big do you intend to go? the RJR I believe is simple bolt in stronger. The JCR setup is a lot stronger but requires reaming your knuckles for 1ton tie rod ends.

cal said:
RJR is selling a Rugged Ridge kit, which is made by Omix-Ada. I'm not a fan of the equipment.

from what I recall the Rugged Ridge kit is basicly a solid tie rod like the V8 ZJs, not bad for drop in considering it includes the TREs(those are pricey at the parts stores)

WaXJ_Skier said:
from what I recall the Rugged Ridge kit is basicly a solid tie rod like the V8 ZJs, not bad for drop in considering it includes the TREs(those are pricey at the parts stores)

Thats exactly the point though, how can you sell the kit that cheap unless you are using the cheapest import parts? Omix-Ada is not known for high quality replacement parts.

What makes the JCR kit nice, is they use high a chevy misalignment tie rod end at the pitman arm, good for a retarded amount of lift.

cal said:
What makes the JCR kit nice, is they use high a chevy misalignment tie rod end at the pitman arm, good for a retarded amount of lift.

I know I'll be using 1ton TREs when I finish building my front 44. Just got to figure out if I'm doing an OTK or High Steer setup..

jerseyjeep01 said:
7" and 35's. thats what i'm at now
JCR kit anything less is a waste of your time, and don't wheel till you upgrade it.

I've been doing some mild wheeling. just mud no rocks. So you don't think the RJR will hold? The price is right.... but then again you get what you pay for. Is it worth it to to OTK? Or do you think UTK will be fine?

If you don't hit your steering on rocks, no need to go OTK. Its a lot of work for 3" of clearance.

what are peoples thoughts on cross over steering...i have been leaning more that way

jerseyjeep01 said:
Very few rocks here in jersey. Cutting the coil buckets and relocating the track bar didn't sound appealing to me.

Is it worth it to you is the big question, I know people runing 1 ton setups under the knuckle without an issue so you should be fine.

WaXJ_Skier said:
JCR kit anything less is a waste of your time, and don't wheel till you upgrade it.
I wheeled on stock steering for three years on 32s, and then about two on 35s. Never had any problems, but I always had spares. Wheeled the Rubicon, and several other semi hard trails.

Just have to not turn into things, and be easy on the gas.

With that being said, a guy who borrowed my Dads Jeep somehow broke stock steering on 32s on a fire road. :dunno:

cal said:
You do need it now, I would look at the JCR kit. Unlike most of the others, it offers better hi angle support, 1 ton ish strength, and you can walk into any parts house in the country to get replacement joints as needed.

Thanks for the response, my next question is, why do I need to upgrade the steering? I can think of several factors that could apply, I'm wondering which one or combination of factors makes an upgrade necessary. Is the stock steering weak and will bend / break, is it the extreme angles the TREs are forced to work at, etc?

Thanks for the info. I like to educate myself as much as possible on these systems.

From my experiance I have bent 2 stock tie rods now (one on stock tires, one on 33x13.5) I would at least upgrade to the V8 ZJ tierod. Thats the part I have seen bend/break repeatedly. Even with that I would carry a spare (even the old stock one) just in case. I also think you may need a drop pitman arm if you are wearing out your boots because of the angle. I think again that a ZJ arm is like a 1 or 2" drop.
stock
suckerstoast8cc.jpg

tierodfuneral4zu.jpg

33s
l_89738b82f1e397f7ed66b8d9f01904a3.jpg

both times I was glad I had spares.

Last edited:
Back