• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Won't Start - HELP!!!

jeepster_259

NAXJA Forum User
Well, after doing some off-roading and going through some pretty deep water (over the hood in some instances: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayCMbSJJTys ), my Jeep had been running perfectly, not a problem at all. I had shut it down a few times on the trail and it started right back up.
We came out of trail, I stopped it and shut it down to help my friend load his Jeep on the trailer, went to start mine back up and it wouldn't start. It cranks over plenty, but won't start. Checked the spark, it's good. Tried spraying starting fluid and it sputtered a little, no start. Tested fuel pressure, none!

Pulled the gas tank and fuel pump, thought that was the problem. I tested the fuel pump, though, by just hooking it to the battery and it works fine. We reassembled it and hooked it to the harness on the Jeep, it doesn't work. We tested the voltage across the harness and it had about 5 volts. No idea what the problem is.

ANY IDEAS??????

jeepster_259 said:
Well, after doing some off-roading and going through some pretty deep water (over the hood in some instances: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayCMbSJJTys ), my Jeep had been running perfectly, not a problem at all. I had shut it down a few times on the trail and it started right back up.
We came out of trail, I stopped it and shut it down to help my friend load his Jeep on the trailer, went to start mine back up and it wouldn't start. It cranks over plenty, but won't start. Checked the spark, it's good. Tried spraying starting fluid and it sputtered a little, no start. Tested fuel pressure, none!

Pulled the gas tank and fuel pump, thought that was the problem. I tested the fuel pump, though, by just hooking it to the battery and it works fine. We reassembled it and hooked it to the harness on the Jeep, it doesn't work. We tested the voltage across the harness and it had about 5 volts. No idea what the problem is.

ANY IDEAS??????

wild guess but could it be hydrolocked? maybe you sucked water through the intake since you most likely saturated your air filter going that deep. I did something similar but it ended up being my alternator that was fried. It ran fine, after shutting it down, it kicked over until the battery juice was dead and I realized it wasn't getting a charge.

EEEEMMMM it just seems like u have a problem getting sufficent fuel... considering it would run on starting fluid... it should have kept going afterwards if fuel was still entering the cylinders, but when it sputtered that was it running off only starting fluid. I would suggest testing the voltage from the fuel pump all the way up to the fuel rail and see where it drops and maybe u have a bad connection or something. When u turn the key to the on position can u hear the fuel system pressurizing?

Most likely one of your sensors is bad. Could be crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor, throtle position sensor etc. I read and article about the startup sequence a while back, found it on a google search for Cherokee sensors. Anyway, I'm betting one of them has stopped sending a signal to PCM.

Did you check the fuel filter to see if anything got clogged up in there? I know on the 91 it's underneath and kinda far back there so going through that much water might mess it up pretty good. I'd try pulling the fuel lines one section a a time to see how far pressure is going up the line. (ex if your fuel pump works pull the line going into the fuel filter, fuel there, pull the line coming out of the fuel filter, ect) If you have no fuel pressure at the fuel rail then you should be able to narrow it down that way. Just my .02 worth.

Back