• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What should I use to cover up rust

JoshRountree

NAXJA Forum User
I was fixing my parking brakes this past weekend and my backing plate has quite a bit of surface rust on it. I need to replace the brake cylinders some time in the future and since I'll have it all apart I want to take a wire wheel to the backing plate and then paint over the rust. What should I use?

You never "cover up rust" you repair it. Covering it up just leads to more problems in the future.

If the backing plate is rusted badly... replace it, don't cover it up.

RCman said:
You never "cover up rust" you repair it. Covering it up just leads to more problems in the future.

If the backing plate is rusted badly... replace it, don't cover it up.

It's just surface rust though. I can get most of it off with a wire wheel, but I seem to remember hearing about some type of spray paint that you can use to stop it.

kleen-strip rust converter works great for that kind of problem

get one of the 3M paint and rust stripper wheels (black plastic mesh) to get the surface rust off and the kleen-strip to convert whatever is left

Back