• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Back with a new build

CJ's98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
First, my apologies to my XJ brothers. I had crossed to the dark side after the demise of my Cherokee at the hands of a kid in a cadilac early this spring. I bought a TJ. I drove it all spring and summer with the top off and had a lot of fun. But whenever I NEEDED it to do something I was always left thinking that I wish I still had my Cherokee. I've finaly had enough. If you know anybody looking to buy a '01 Wrangler Sport, up 6 1/2" and on 35's in the VA / NC area, let me know. I'm looking for another Cherokee.

Y'all helped me with my first build, now I'm seeking more advice on my next.

I'm calling this one project "Base Camp". The primary purpose for this vehicle will be to transport my family / friends (at least 3 people) and all our gear (to include bikes , kyaks, canoes, camping gear and supplies for about a week) to and from camping / fishing / hunting / hiking / biking destinations averaging 4 to 7 hours away while towing a light trailer. Wheeling will be secondary duty for this vehicle, but it needs to be able to handle it's own in the woods and on the beach. I live near the Outer Banks NC and travel to some pretty secluded areas in the Blueridge and Shenendoah Valley area. It will not nesessarily be a daily driver, but needs to be able to fill in on a regular basis. This vehicle needs to travel long distances and tow a light trailer without breaking the bank.. (By the way, if you haven't noticed yet, gas is expensive.).............And it needs to look cool doing it of course.

This is what I'm thinking.
97 to 2001 Cherokee Sport. (looking for a white one)
3 1/2" Rubicon Express lift with full Spring Packs (added hlpr springs for trailer)
31x1050 BFG a/t's or Dick Cepek FC2's
Yakima Load warrior roor rack w/ extension.
Custom front bumper and winch (already have)
Haevy duty trailer hitch
ARB snorkel (just cuz it looks cool)
I'll eventualy put a limited slip in the rear and a selectable up front.
Rocker panel protection and skid plates (eventualy)

Wachu think? I'm a loyal RE guy, so no need to go there. The only things not destroyed when my last XJ was wrecked were all painted gray. My biggest question is wether I will be better off buying a 3 1/2 ' lift to accomodate the 31's or if i should look into a 2' boost and trim the fenders. I would like to keep the stock gear ratio (for mileage sake). Would I be better off with 30x9.50's or 31"10.50's. Remember it still has to be able to handle some light wheeling and my budget is not unlimited.

Thanx
Biz
Lemme know what Y'all think.:viking:

Sorry. i forgot to add to my original post.

If you have a minute please Google or Youtube search "Detective Mike Phillips". I worked undercover for almost 4 years. He was one of my partners. If you are feeling generous, I'm askin any of my Jeepin' buddies to please help his family. He was a father, husband and little league coach first and a cop second. and oh yeah. He had a Jeep too.

even if you are not one of us, please stay safe.

Biz

Last edited:
If you're running a heavy enough bumper/winch combo up front, upgrade to the 3.5" ZJ coils in your RE kit.
OME long travel shocks or RE monotubes are worth the extra money!

RE doesn't put front brakelines in their kits, and you need them with the right length shocks.
DO add an adj front trackbar to that kit!
You already probably know that a SYE/CV shaft upgrade is likely in your future with anything 96 or newer.

If you don't wanna do the SYE, and only wanna fit 30" or 31" tires, go for an OME/ hybrid set-up.
OME ZJ coils in front and tweaked OME XJ leafs in back will net around 3" or so, but still be firmer than most OME kits to sup[port that extra weight.

Sorry to hear about your friend.
I appreciate what LEO's do...

As far as hybrid lift kits go, DPG is supposed to be the expert. His advice shouldn't be taken lightly. :)

I bought my kit from him. Good guy to deal with, spent 30 minutes on the phone with me discussing setup, etc after the store closed.

It seems to me popular wisdom is to avoid the 00/01 because of the lp30 & cylinder head problems. Definately 31"s. Just my 2 cents worth. P.S. Where in the hell is Moyock?[ Actually it appears to be a long way from anyplace]

Almost the same build I have right now (minus the rack and front locker). I put on the 3.5" RE lift will full springs. It started at almost 4.25" in front and 4.5" in the rear when complete. I've had a Nates 4x4 front slimline winch bumper on it for almost 2 months and 4,000 miles. The front sits about 4.00" front and 4.25" rear now and it appears all the settling is done. I had intended on adding a spacer to the front to compensate, but I don't see any reason to now.

Mine rides on 265/75/16 (31"s) and I'm very, very happy. I got away with no SYE (yet) and have zero vibes. I still manage near 20 mpg on the highway (driving sane) and I hit 16 mpg last weekend driving up to northern MI pulling my M416 trailer with about 1000lbs in it (total of about 1500lbs). This is also my daily driver and IMHO, my favorite ride I've ever owned.

Of coarse I always want bigger, but this rig will go through anything I'm willing to tackle, looks and rides great and is still very practicle. I don't see how you could possibly go wrong with the set up you are planning!

I used a set of 92 2 door explorer leaf springs on mine i just took the second and third spring and added them to my spring pack. The third is an over load and works great with my trailer and camping gear we just got done at the lake and with everything loaded up it had hardly had any sag. With my 2in. shackle and the new springs it gave me about 1 1/2in. more. In the front i used zj coils and a BB with the isolator still on it. that gave me about 3 in front it works great and im running 30x9.50 with a little trimming in the rear and tj flares up front. in the front the ride is a tiny bit rougher but the rear is as good as when i ran my stock springs. Hope this helps. if you have any ?'s just ask

Back