• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof mouting the spare

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
Well since searching doesn't turn up what I'm looking for, I figured I would ask. Im getting sick of my 32" spare getting in the way, so Im going to move it to the roof. I am hoping to lay down something to protect the roof, place the tire on that. Then move the racks to in fron tand behind the tire, and as tight as I can get them up to it. Then 2 ratchet straps, corner to corner.

My questions:

Is something between the tire and roof really necessary?
Are 2 ratchet straps going to be strong enough to hold the weight?
I was thinking I might be able to drill and throw a small lock on the ratchets, any other ways to discourage the honest folks?

Other options may be to build an H that fits under the racks, and use the pressure of the tire to hold it onto the racks. This works fine, but places the tire to high for my tastes. I don't want a roof basket I want to be able to drop the tire and put a boat up there. Rear carriers are flat out expensive, I have plans to get one made just no $$$.

The roof is going to bounce and flex a whole lot under a 32" tire. Mine sure as heck did and it was only under a 30".
I'd reccomend using some perforated angle pieces to bolt together a carrier using the OEM roof mounts as a base. I think six pieces a yard long did it for me - kept the tire in place solidly at interstate speeds as well as in the rocks & off-camber.
Two ratchets is plenty - the roof bouncing and making a racket is your problem.

That carrier looks great and I think I can make one like it for cheap.

I'm curious as to how long the spare tire can sit under the sun before it begins to break down.

Anyone have a problem with ol sol?

:sunshine:

Ill try it just with ratchets, Im just trying to get it as low as possible. Ive fabbed something like the rock rats one but it just didn't look right being up above the roofline so much, with nothing around it.

Plus if it bounces Im just out the ratchets, which are good to have around anyways :D

Well I threw it up there with nothing under it, seems to be holding after a few trips around town. Only sound is a slight rattle from the overhead light, which can probably be tightened. We'll see how it goes...

Dude, I have a 32" MT in the stock location of my 96XJ!! I would never put a tire on the roof....maybe down the highway if I really needed to for space, but if you get into anything tippy....you're gonna with it wasn't up there!! Plus it further reduces the gas mileage that you are getting....if that matters to you?

It's kinda a balancing act to get it in there, definitely doesn't just throw right in, but if you remove the bottom bracket thingy, pound on the wheel well a tiny bit here and there, don't over-inflate the tire, put the rear seat forward (it will go back, but it's hard to latch that side), and put the big screw through one of the lug holes instead of the center, it will fit back there!!

mjma said:
Dude, I have a 32" MT in the stock location of my 96XJ!! I would never put a tire on the roof....maybe down the highway if I really needed to for space, but if you get into anything tippy....you're gonna with it wasn't up there!! .......
I totally agree.. After wheeling with it on top for the first time, I took it off. It got too tippy for me, for what I do.

I had to put it back on the roof because I need the room, but it's coming off before I wheel again. or until I get a rear tire carrier..

That's a lot of weight to be putting on the roof. I really think you should support it with something other than the roof itself.

2803988753_1f0c9242a2.jpg

2804835558_de8850bd5b.jpg

btw - it's a 33x12.5

E

Last edited:
extra mass up top = more body roll and higher chance of a roll on off-camber... I dont like tipping so yeah my spare stays in back

85xj4dr said:
Get an Mj. Problem solved.
:roll: Then I would only need to worry about the huge rust holes...

It's not a question if I should put it on the roof, some people like it some don't. Im pretty much never in the situation that a tire on the roof will be a problem, but having it in the back is almost always a problem. My XJ isn't a rock crawler, it more aimed for old logging roads, fishing/camping trips, crossing drainage ditches and washouts.

I had a 31 in the stock spot, no way my 32" Swamper will fit there. It measures just over 32" tall. It was touching the back door and the seat back with a 31, so unless I deflate the 32 it's not going to happen. Not saying it doesn't work for you, they seem to all be a little different.

Git rid of the back seat. Opens up alot of space & you can put a 33 in the stock location. JIM.

rocknxj said:
That carrier looks great and I think I can make one like it for cheap.

I'm curious as to how long the spare tire can sit under the sun before it begins to break down.

Anyone have a problem with ol sol?

:sunshine:
The four tires that are on the Jeep at all times are out in the sun all day. Dont see how it would be a problem, unless its long term storage.

Laying it flat, the sun will bleach the hell out of the topside sidewall. I've got a brand new spare for my tow rig, never been on the ground, with a silver sidewall.

I don't know that it hurt the tire any, but it does look like shiite...

Robert

I know the jeep guys with the spare outside end up covering thier tires to preotech from the elements. Im figuring I might just to keep it from filling up with snow in the winter.

I use a mopar roof top tire carrier. I've got a 31 up there with no problem. The previous owner (of the carrier) kept a 35 of there with no problems.
IMG_2115.jpg

IMG_2885.jpg

Being an RVer, I know that tires need to be covered from the harmful rays of the sun to extend their lifespan. My XJ sits on the street with no protection from the sun. The spare facing that ball of hot gas will likely begin cracking sooner than the remaining tires that only have moderate exposure. I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem.

A larger issue would be turning that spare tire into a projectile in the even of a collision. A couple of staps may not be adequate to prevent somebody from receiving a face full of BFG tread.

Do what I once did. put it in the back behind the rear seat. then take some cardboard and trace out the area above the tire and create a false floor on top of the spare. this will also give you space on the sides of the tire to store other gear hidden from sight, out of the way and out of the weather.

Biz

I would, but the goal is to free up space. That would give me a double floor, but leave me with more to take out if I need to sleep in there, for example.

Back