• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap engine mods

109ace

NAXJA Forum User
First let me state that I am not asking for more horsepower becuase I want to go fast. I go to school up in Vermont and before it starts getting too cold, I would like to do a little bit of engine work to get my mpg up and add a little more torque. On the highway I can easily watch my gauge drop and I am not liking that. What are some easy and cheap mods that can be done to improve miliage and help keep my motor running up here. It is a 98 and has 159,000 miles and while I know that is not a lot for a jeep, I would rather it not break down.

You can go with the rustys perf pack for like 255. it has a Throttle body spacer, a kn with a tube to adapt it and a cat back. it woke mine up considerably(read:18mpg with 31's,355s and a heavy foot(on the highway)). the only thing is that i would reccomend a prewrap filter thing for the kn b/c theyre known to let the little shit through. past that you could bore your tb out, add a highflow cat and do a header for bolt ons...

it's night and day afer boring out the TB. same thing for the high flow cat. I wouldn't waste my time with a header

Throttle body spacers do nothing on a fuel injected rig. Its like putting a wing on a front wheel drive car.

A bored throttle body will wake it up a hair, but will NOT improve MPG, instead will probably hurt a hair.

A good header will help with the low end torque, just a hair, but means less foot in the throttle which can help.

Your best bet is a good tune up, a new o2 sensor, and making sure you have the right gears for your tire size. Gears are the single best bang for the buck when you start talking performance and economy (one or both).

Back