• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing 260 u-joints with 5-297 u-joints

85xjwoody

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to swap u-joints and was wondering if I can use the same axleshaft for the newer style u-joint? I don't know if the caps are bigger or not. Thanks.

Kim

297 shafts are plentiful at the junk yard!! If you can get them with a good hub on them, double bonus!

However, with your 85 front axle....you may have rotor fitment issues....using newer hubs that is. The axle shafts will fit fine using your current hubs/rotors.

I will be going to the local pick and pull tomorrow. These shafts are going into a 96. The 85 is on the back burner right now.

Right on. Grab the hubs too!! I usually bring them up and say I want the shafts but couldn't get the hub off, and they still give them to me for dirt cheap with a good hub on there!!

The pick and pull I am going to has a couple of 98 cherokees there along with a 96, 92, 91, and an 87. Been there quite a few times in the last week:D

your 96 should have them, i pulled all my 297 shafts outta a 96 for my 89...unless he swapped in a earlier hp disco 30

Broke both axleshafts awhile ago and stuck in some out of an 87. Now being locked I would like to make sure I have something decent out there. The 297's will probably break also just want something a little stronger. First time locked up front.

You should probably read over some of the articles on the MadXJ site.
Also I can tell you didn't SEARCH here :D LOL!

If you are now locked in the front, go ahead and order a CM drivers side shaft and outer, and a new seal (IIRC, larger with the larger shafts).

With the 260's you bust the joint then the ears.
W/The 297's you'll tend to bust the ears first (less metal around the cap), then the joint, and it sometimes breaks your lower ball joint.

Once that lower ball joint goes, you won't like the fact that you are stuck in a mud pit ;)

85xjwoody said:
Broke both axleshafts awhile ago and stuck in some out of an 87. Now being locked I would like to make sure I have something decent out there. The 297's will probably break also just want something a little stronger. First time locked up front.
Interesting. Sure it was an 87? Most of the info I've gotten on the axles points to the following:

• Dana 30 axles with the NP231, 1987 through 1991 are vacuum disconnect
  • NP242 Selec-Trac will not have the disconnect
  • All 1992+ are non-disconnect
  • All 84-88 D30s have 5-260x u-joints (1 1/16" diameter caps)
  • 1989-95 non-ABS have 5-260x u-joints
  • 1989-95 with ABS have 5-297x u-joints (1 3/16" diameter caps)
  • All 1995 1/2+ have 5-297x u-joints
  • 5-297x u-joints can be replaced with the stronger 5-760x u-joint
Jim www.yuccaman.com

How do one tell the difference between the 5-297 and the 5-760 'U' joint?

Yucca Man, I what I meant was when I broke the axleshafts that were in my 96 I replaced them with a driver side from an 87 and the passenger side was from an 86. Joints were decent still so I ran them.
But I could be wrong on the years as I have had quite a few different cherokees around here the past couple of months.:D

Ron, I did a little searching here and came across the Madxj articles. Did some reading but I have been pretty busy lately trying to finish up before the weekend. Thanks all for the help

mjma said:
Right on. Grab the hubs too!! I usually bring them up and say I want the shafts but couldn't get the hub off, and they still give them to me for dirt cheap with a good hub on there!!

Don't mean to high-jack the thread - but I'll be heading out to the yard's soon to grab some of these shafts. What's the best way to tell on the spot if the hub is good? Any maintanence to do on these before reinstalling them?

anotherskait said:
Don't mean to high-jack the thread - but I'll be heading out to the yard's soon to grab some of these shafts. What's the best way to tell on the spot if the hub is good? Any maintanence to do on these before reinstalling them?

Turn it by hand while off the vehicle.

It should be smooth feeling, but tight. If it wobbles, is loose, grinds, feels like it grinds, or a host of other weird feelings I can't put into words, it's bad, or will be soon.

I'm in the middle of a major build on my '89 XJ...regearing front with locker, building 8.8 for the rear with locker, and SYE kit for my NP242. While I'm "in there", it would be great to find a cost effective way to achieve the stronger u-joint for front shafts. What should I ask the local junk yard...what should I look for...in other words...how can I find replacement shafts that will fit without running into problems.

Thanks in advance..! I'd rather do this now than later. Also, just replaced the unit-hubs (both) last fall...so an axle that fits them would be nice!

Back