• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trimming fenders (oak harbor)

jeepnleo

NAXJA Forum User
i plan on removing all of my fender flares and starting to trim the fender back as much as possible with out having to weld. i will be starting arond 545pm. if anyone in the area whats to swing by and watch help what ever. give me a call at 425 443 0901.

or send me a PM for more info ie my address

I'd love to!

Kidding. A bit far for me...
good luck!

~Scott

if you plan on removing all of your fenders your gonna be confused when you get to the back.. hehehe

and.. cutting the fenders in the front was easy, im sure taking them off will add any ease.

so far i took of the rear flares. i striped about half the screws. i guess that is what happens after 24 years of wear and tear. I cut the lip on side and proceded to the pie cut and fold back method. i was using a cheap hammer and only got one side 1/2 finished. so i need a better hammer. i was planing on putting the stock flares back on but i think it actually looks pretty good the way i did it. i gained about 4 inches of clearance compared to where the bottom of the stock flare was to where the bottom of my new fold is. but it was only about 1 to 1 1/2 inches from where the flare mounted to where the bottom of my fold is.

so i might finish up at least the cutting on the other side tonight or i might just wait till i get a better hammer.

It's ok, with the older style flares you do not need to install the factory brackets with the studs back on, I placed the older style flares on my 97 and only used the flares without the stud brackets by using 4 bolts with large washers to fit on the inside of the flare to bolt into the original holes.

mac

ok so i amgoing to get started again. i got a better hammer and a dolly if i need one. dont see why i would. so i will finish the rear tomorrow. will start around 1015ish. i will post pics soon

What year XJ? I think there's a slight difference between 1st and 2nd gen. Be careful to not cut too deep on the rears, the pinch seam is your friend. On the rears of my '91, I was able to cut off about 3/4" all around, then do a series of 3/4" deep slots in the flange spaced about 4" apart, used a combo of wide-flange vise grips and a BFH to fold each section under. There's a great write-up on fender trimming in FAQ, if you haven't seen it yet.

Good luck.

alright i got done cutting and folding back both fenders. i used seam sealer underneath. i then used a can of spray on bedliner and did about a 3-4 inch border around the the new folded back fender of one fender i still need to do the other. so i am basically done with the back. i think it looks great.

6p6eja.jpg

here is how mine ended up not too bad for my first time doing it still not done though gotta just do one more fender and finish the pass. front and then go get some paint and bed liner for my cool idea...

Back