• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My new AW shifter

R.DesJardin

NAXJA Forum User
Needed a way to shift my AW, didn't want to buy what was available so I made my own. The first one was using a Omron PLC(Programmable Logic Controller) it worked great, I had switches mounted on the steering wheel.
I got to thinking that since you are only controlling two solenoids the PLC seemed overkill. My first thought was a lever that had notches on a radius to turn micro switches on and off at the right time. Lots of machine time involved with that idea so I moved onto a rod with notches for the micro switches, two aluminum blocks machined that fit together with a Z/S gate pattern on the top. Tada shifter, finished size is 3/4" x 2" x3" long.
Mounted in the center console area. Added a separate switch for TC lock up and now no computer needed. Simple and easy to make.
RD

R.DesJardin said:
Needed a way to shift my AW, didn't want to buy what was available so I made my own. The first one was using a Omron PLC(Programmable Logic Controller) it worked great, I had switches mounted on the steering wheel.
I got to thinking that since you are only controlling two solenoids the PLC seemed overkill. My first thought was a lever that had notches on a radius to turn micro switches on and off at the right time. Lots of machine time involved with that idea so I moved onto a rod with notches for the micro switches, two aluminum blocks machined that fit together with a Z/S gate pattern on the top. Tada shifter, finished size is 3/4" x 2" x3" long.
Mounted in the center console area. Added a separate switch for TC lock up and now no computer needed. Simple and easy to make.
RD
I need a visual aid. Got a pic?

PICT0762.jpg
PICT0759.jpg

Here is a couple photos, simple 3 wires to connect.
Rory D.

Are you selling these?

:D

so what solenoids are you switching with this? id like to make something similar but i always figured it was mechanically actuated

rockshox said:
so what solenoids are you switching with this? id like to make something similar but i always figured it was mechanically actuated

Yeah, good question.

How about a schematic?

You attach two of the three wire to the shift solenoids on the AW4. The solenoids shift the trans in gears 1-4. It shifts the trans. manually only. I don't have a ECU/ECT.
There are other people that make computerized systems that will shift the AW4's that are wired into the same wires.
On the AW4 I have the wires are on the left side and go into the transmission case above the pan which is where the solenoids are located. You just need to find out which wires do which solenoid and wire in.
The solenoids work in the following way:
Gear-- Solenoid Status
1st------#1 on, #2 off
2nd-----#1 on, #2 on
3rd-----#1 off, #2 on
4th-----#1 off, #2 off

Rory D.

Last edited:
Back