• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing the washer bottle on a 98?

XJ98Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I made a homemade snorkel, but I have no idea how to remove the washer bottle. The FSM doesn't really help, it just says to "remove the two bolts." I got one out, but I can't find the other. Tell me I don't have to take the header panel off to get to the second bolt...

XJ98Jeep said:
I made a homemade snorkel, but I have no idea how to remove the washer bottle. The FSM doesn't really help, it just says to "remove the two bolts." I got one out, but I can't find the other. Tell me I don't have to take the header panel off to get to the second bolt...
You're going to have to remove the DS inner fender liner, the two bolts that hold the bottle on, the water lines, and the electrical connections, then slide it backwards to clear the mounting tabs and it should pull out through the opening in the fender.

I'm still working on where I'm going to move it to. I don't remember the last time I actually used the washer after I rain-xed my windshield other than when I was in the mud, so I'm not too worried about placement. I may get a 96 and below bottle and jerry rig something where the airbox used to be.

I can't find the second bolt, but don't you unscrew the bolt from the engine side of the fender versus the outside? So to get to the bolt wouldn't I need to take the radiator crossmember off? Maybe that isn't what it's called, but the black thing that runs above the radiator.

This isn't what I had in mind, but I like this the best
http://www.jeepcorner.com/karlsxj/allin2.jpg
Apparently that's an older style reservoir with the newer dual diaphragm brake booster, I didn't know a driver's side washer bottle that didn't go in the fender existed. I thought it was either driver's side fender, or passenger side firewall.

Last edited:
Yep, I got it figured out. A combination of it being dark and the bolt being covered in RTV (not sure how that works...) made me think it was just a rubber grommet or something. Of course now I have to take the wheel off to get the bottle out, so I have to wait until tomorrow.

Back