• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hella 500s blowing fuses

XJ98Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
My Hellas are blowing fuses, I've already gone through every inch of the power lead, and wiggled and looked at the wiring that goes to the lights, and it's still blowing fuses. Is it possible that the relay could have an internal short? I'm about to try the headlight trick from Xtreme4x4, but I'm just wondering about the relay.

try pulling the lens out and make sure the wire directly off the bulb isnt touching the ground. i had the same problem when i first installed my 500's

are you blowing fuses instantly or does it take some time for them to blow. instantly is usually a short, if it takes some time, the fuses may be sized too small. otherwise start eleminating components. try tremoving the bulbs the turn the lights on of better yet check to ground with an ohm meter so you don' have to keep replacing fuses. remember you will read to ground if you don't remove the bulbs as one side is connected to ground(-) for normal operation.

they're blowing instantly, I've had these installed for a few years and they just started doing it, I haven't changed anything. I'll pull the lenses later and check on the wiring.

what size is the fuse your blowing it should be around a 10A them lights are pulling aroung 9.7A but when first turned on they should pull a little more to just get started, could be in the relay if it is bad,relays are just to make the first turn on pull less Amps so it dosen't blow fuses so if its bad then it could be by passing it, it has to be that or grounded somewhere the lenses or no rubber grammets on metal and the wire is grounded somewhere
Good Luck

lights are a fairly linear load...that pull a very similar amount of amps at start up and while running. a motor on the other hand pulls a much higher amount of amps at start up than while running. and a relay is used to turn something on or off, it has no affect on current draw, only the load detrmines the current draw. a relay allows the use of differnt circuits or voltages to turn a load on. this allows you to use a wire which only has to be large enough to operate the relay to turn large loads on and off. I use #16 wire to operate loads that pull 100's of amps at work because of relays. It sure is nice to be able to pull a few #16's to a control panel vs. pulling 500mcm(wire which is roughly the diameter of a quarter)

I had a 15A fuse in, then tried a couple of 20s and they all blew. I'm about to test fit my snorkel so I'll check on the bulbs grounding out.

mine won't turn on at all, both fuses are good. I either have a bad ground or i blew the relay. It started after i went wheeling 2 weeks ago

if u have a plug at the lights u can unplug them to determine wihich light is causing the fuse to blow, a process of elimanation

Flexd, have someone turn the lights and on listen to the relay, if you can hear it clicking then the relay is good. And I don't have a plug at the lights, but I may just detach one bulb and then the other to see which one it is.

Back