• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removal of AW4 shifter handle.

lostNdallas

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to replace the trim plate and can't figure out how to remove the t-handle off the top of the shift lever.

I have a feeling it's a simple task and it's laughing at me in the driveway while I sit here searching and typing on the computer.

Any help is much appreciated.

Stallacrew said:
Move it to 1-2 and pull straight up.

That's step 1.

Step 2 - smack self in forehead when it finally comes loose (or scrap knuckles on dash, or other similar self-injury).

It's on there pretty tight, but it will eventually come loose. To avoid step 2, I saw where somebody suggested doing step 1 from the back seat, reaching forward between the front seats. Sounds good to me, I'm gonna try that next time - up to now, I've always done the 2-step process as above.

I was right. The t-handle was snickering when I got back in and busted a gut laughing when the handle pulled straight off.

Thanks loads for your help.

lostNdallas said:
I was right. The t-handle was snickering when I got back in and busted a gut laughing when the handle pulled straight off.

Thanks loads for your help.
Haha you should hear the noises ZJ shift handles make while you try to pull them off. Sounds like an entire crowd of people laughing at and not with you.

I was at the bone yard and scored some nifty small parts and a drivers seat. The seat and the visor clips bolted on in a few minutes but even at the bone yard I couldn't get the handle off any shifters with an intact trim plate. I just happened to find one in perfect shape laying on a back seat.

I'd be a liar if I said a Sawzall never crossed my mind.

Put the selector in 1st then stand with a foot planted in each front seat straddling the console. Place both hands on the T handle and pull straight up. When it comes off you will be doubled over in pain from slamming the T handle into your nuts. Works but may not be worth it.

All of the handles that I have pulled off seem to be on there tighter than one can take off with one hand ECKSJAY. Granted, if you are that strong and you break your rig on the trail you can just carry it home...

Back