• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing lower end link bolt

bigalpha

I am replacing my endlinks with some from an RE lift.

I got the old stuff disconnected, but couldn't get the lower bolts out of the housing. I tried to unscrew it but could not get it to budge.

Any tips?

Sway bar end link bolt on the axle housing ?

That bolt is pressed into the arm. You can cut off enough so a tie rod end puller fits, or get two BFH's and pound on the threaded end while holding the other BFH in place just below the bolt head.

Yes, the lower mount on the axle.

So, will I have to worry about the new lower bolt and nut coming loose? Do I have to worry about bending or breaking that mount?

I am going to assume that it's going to take a significant amount of force to break that bolt loose.

My JKS quick discos have never come loose.

A few sharp smacks of the hammer had them right out. The second BFH stops the bracket from bouncing or bending. If you are worried, heat the bracket, not the bolt, so the hole expands and give it a few whacks.

Thanks for the advice. I'll go tomorrow and give them a few swift smacks and see if I can't break them loose.

If you hear me crying, it's because I broke something.

I had to torch mine out.... Depends on the year I think. Some of them come out easier than others. Torch came into play after I bent the tab hammering on the stud.

Funny thing is, I was all ready with a torch for my friend's ZJ, and his just fell right out!!!

Back