• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

86 2.5L hesitation issues!

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Not my jeep but a neighbors.

Its a 86 2.5L, new auto tranny, new torque converter, new EGR valve.

The thing acts like it is pulling a tractor/trailer behind it until it hits second gear and then it takes off and runs fine. The tranny doesn't seem to be slipping due to the RPM's staying low. It just acts like its not picking up throttle or getting any spark advance. It did this before the new tranny and TC. Nothing obviouse is wrong with it. The cat is brand new, the tank, fuel pump and fuel filter are all new. Its getting fuel on each injector and has a good blue spark. Idle is OK.

I know very little about the 84-86 XJ's

What do I need to look for that hasn't already been done?

i have the same problem with mine

but it only happens for the first few min that i run it on the first time i run it in the day

im kinda thinking the TPS could be the problem but im not sure how to test it

I spent some time working on this Jeep today and I'm 100% sure its a transmission issue. The tranny is not going back into 1st gear at a stop. Also if you pull the shifter back into 1st gear at a stop it strill trys to pull out in a higher gear. If your driving it you can manualy shift it all you want or let it shift through itself and it does fine, it just will not pull out in 1st gear.

Its a 2.5/904

The 2.5 runs real strong and surprisingly will pull the jeep up hill from a stop in high gear!

The tranny has been rebuilt so I feel like it my be a wireing issue or something else missing disconnected or left off.

Does anyone have a clue? I would love to fix the problem with this Jeep.

Back