• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 pull in the A.M.

Stallacrew

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so tomorrow morning I go to my grandfathers shop to get my parts jeep's (1989 xj) AW4/231 out. I know all I have to do is drop the 8 bolts to get the transfer case and tranny out, but I have a few questions.

1. AW4 and NP231 mated together, how much do they weigh and can I (6'3'' 280 lb male) pick them up together? THe 231 is supposed to be 65 (no prob) and the AX15 is 110 but looks much smaller than the AW4 so I didnt know.

2. If I likely cannot load them on the pickup by myself, can I seperate them ( those 6 bolts ) without having to replace some seals or rebuild something?

3. Can I take them to the pressure washer before I puth them back in or will I blow a seal? Where are the seals on the tranny? Front, back, and bottom? I just don't wanna have to mess with the tranny/TC cause school is about to start and I wont have much time to do anything major until Thanksgiving.

4. How do I need to transport them in the truck? I'll have a pallet to put them on, but is the side better than the bottom for support since the pan is there?

I figured out today that a cross member weighs enought ot break my thumb when it drops and working in the summer rain is still pretty cold. I just want this to go as smooth as possible.

Any input on weights, washing, tips tricks and anything else will be appreciated. I'm gonna let this thread be and just check it in the morning.

--Alex

Ok as far as the first question. I am 6'1," 220 and my brother in law is my size. It took everything we had when we pulled the AW4 and 242 out of mine. Unless you can bench more than me and Bob (about 200lbs) you have to seperate them.

The seals, I apply to the thinking that if it has a seal; that seal can't be re-used.

just my .02
hope this helps.

There are four screws (possibly six) retaining the AW4 - and the top two take an E12 socket. These can be had by way of Lisle tools (should be at Sears) for considerably less than the tool truck wants. These two screws are also threaded 3/8"UNC, so just replace them with hex heads or studs and nuts.

There are six nuts (on studs, threaded 3/8"UNF. Take a 9/16" wrench) retaining the transfer case to the transmission. If you separate them to get them out, use a "stubby" wrench. If you pull them apart on the ground (easier!) a regular combination wrench will serve (an open end tends to hang up on ribbing quickly, and most studs don't have room to get a socket on them.)

Can you pick the two up yourself while they're still together? It can be done (6'3" 260#,) but it's easier once you divorce them - and they're easier to get into whatever you're hauling them in as well.

The seal between them can be re-used - if it's in good condition, the input of the transfer case is in good shape, you lube the shaft slightly (yes, I know what that sounds like...) and you are reasonably careful putting them back together. However, just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done - new seals are fairly cheap.

Automatics are invariably heavier than manuals of comparable size - clutches are in there, the valve body, fluid is always left in the thing after it drains, and a torque converter is about twice as heavy as a clutch and flywheel for a comparable gearbox. Pull the assembly, pull out the TC, then split the cases. Load as three parts - back injuries are a bitch (tore my erectors a dozen years or so ago - bilateral, ~80%. Light duty for six months and loads of physical therapy... It's better than they expected it to be, but it's not back to where I was. I don't do "good mornings" over 125# anymore.)

You can drop them as an assembly, then split them right there on the ground. Pull the nuts off of the lower studs, drop the two, then take off the upper stud nuts. Split, remove, and load. You'll thank me for it!

Back