• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaf spring bolts

jeeping99tj

NAXJA Forum User
So i was trying to add a bastard pack to my 1989 xj. Well got every bolt off but the to front ones opposite of shackles. The passenger one just turns and turns and the driver side wont turn at all. Ive broke two sockets on the driver side. And i thought about usein a hole drill for the unibody to get to the back side of bolt but i figured i would ask you guys what to do.

You have the right idea. I thought mine were going to break, but they came loose. I've seen pictures on here showing cutting out a hole in the rear floor board and unibody to get to the nut. Then rewelding hole up. When reinstalling bolts use some type of antiseize.

That one that's just spinning is seized up in the metal sleeve in the bushing. That happened on both sides of mine and I had to cut the bolts out and replace them (14mm X 2.0 by the way). You may also have to run a tap through the weld nut now. On mine all that spinning ruined the outer threads and I couldn't get the new bolt to thread into it.

For your stuck bolt, I'd just try some of the usual tricks - lots of PB Blaster, heat, a few good whacks with a hammer, etc. If you've got access to an impact wrench, definitely try that. You can get some PB on the weld nut by spraying up into the hole in the frame. You just want to avoid breaking that weld nut off in the frame...

You don't even need to remove the mounting bolts to install a bastard pack, all you had to do was remove the u bolts, drop the axle and mix/match your donor leafs below the main that was still fastened at both ends.

Wm

Back