• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 to AX15 flywheel and CPS question

Nuke Proof

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of the conversion and I saw about ten threads on this conversion, one of which talked about the CPS and the flywheel.

Here are my specs-an 89 auto that is being converted using all of the parts out of a totaled 96 5 speed. I pulled the motor and trans from the 96 and so far have put the motor in and have swapped all of the sensors from the 89 motor to the new one

Here is my question-
Should I since I have all of the 89 sensors and computer, change the flywheel and CPS to an 89 model, or should I use the 96 flywheel and put a 96 CPS in it?

My fear is that the 96 CPS will use a different code and therefore won't communicate with the 89 computer.

Thanks

Call a parts store and get the parts code for each and see if they are the same.Might get lucky and it might be the same CPS sensor.If its not I would say you need the 89 flywheel and parts but this is just speculation on my part.

Its only a magnetic pick up I really see no reason why one sensor would be any different then the other.Do they both have the same leads but the connector is different? If that's the only difference then you might be able to just change out the connect.Now as to whether the fly wheels have the tangs in the same place that's something you will just have to look at and see.

Now the real question is the 89 computer like the OBDII computer.The OBDII computer will go into a limp mode if it does not detect the auto trans.When doing this swap in the OBDII you also have to swap the computers.

I see what your saying and that makes sense. But it also means that the computer translates the number of the tangs in the revolution, which in turn means that it needs to be the flywheel it was calibrated to.

As far as the computer, there are several guys here that have swapped, but it has always been to a same year model transmission. The only computer issue that has been addressed has been the NSS.

Thanks for the help, I think I need to change the flywheel and since I'm there might as well put in a new 89 model CPS

It will not work - you'll need to get a RENIX flywheel and sensor. You should not have any trouble mounting the clutch - but the "trigger teeth" are a bit different, and the later CPS works on a different principle (I believe the later unit is a Hall Effect switch, while the earlier unit generates an AC voltage signal.)

It runs and everything works great.....just to make two points clear that I was a little hazy on.....

it doesn't matter what year the tranny is or the motor (if you swap that like I did) YOU NEED THE FLYWHEEL AND CPS FOR THE YEAR THAT YOUR COMPUTER IS-pre 91 or 91 and newer you need the appropriate sensor and flywheel.

if you have a renix, there is one CPS it doesn't matter if manual or auto.

If anyone wants to do this swap give me a pm it's still fresh in my head. I may not be the smartest, but maybe I can help out.

YES! another shush box doing the job it's best at. Boat anchor. :)

I'm out of here. Before someone yells at me again.

Back