• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock spare tire carrier

sdigs

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking at adding a stock swing out spare tire carrier to my 94 SE. I checked and there are no reenforcing brackets inside the rear fender on my XJ like there are on the donor vehicle. I only carry a 31" tire, think it would fold the fender if i drilled holes and used a piece of heavy stock as a shim/washer on the inside. Then i could sandwich the body sheet metal between the stock and the hinge/mounting bracket on the tire carrier.

If you only carry a 31" tire, why not keep it inside?

That's what I did with my spare...it fits in the stock location. (Granted it's stuffed, but it does fit)

Well in that case, I wish you the best of luck!

If I remember correctly I believe I once read it is much easier/cost affective to just buy a swing out tire carrier bumper, but I could be wrong.

Did you have a full size spare inside before or one of those crappy donuts? if you had a fullsized spare then you're not going to lose that much storage space over what you had before. Check out go-jeeps article on fitting a 32" spare in the stock location, the seat sits a little more straight up but doen't lose that much cargo space.

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSpareWheel32inch.htm

Back