• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB Mount

100_2490.jpg

Screwed into the lower dash portion.

Here's mine. JIM.
MVC-030S.jpg

12GaugeXJ said:

i have, it appears, the same cb but i mounted mine on the pass side of the trans tunnel. if you put it up high enough, then it takes up little to no leg room. it may however, limit the forward adjustment of the pass seat.

hth

stewie said:
i have, it appears, the same cb but i mounted mine on the pass side of the trans tunnel. if you put it up high enough, then it takes up little to no leg room. it may however, limit the forward adjustment of the pass seat.

hth

88'XJ said:
lmao i have one of them there ge cb's lying around here too

Its a Cobra 148 GTL. The passengers has plenty of leg room.

Thanks for the pic's. My wife nixed the idea of the cb over head, she's not for getting hit in the head by flying mic and thinks that the one on the passangers side is in her way. It looks like the cb will be going behind the console.

I mounted my CB the same as 12Gauge...might be a problem with tall passengers (one's with long legs), but otherwise is fine. My problem is chasing an engine whine coming through the CB.

Noise varies with engine RPM's...is present with or without antenna connected. I've got power connected to aux in fuse box, and ground connected to fuse box mounting screw (tested it and it's a solid ground).

Wondering if it might be eliminated by connecting power directly to battery...and ground to different/better chassis ground. Or, do I need a noise filter on the power lead?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

straight to the battery is always a good idea, but you'll probably still need a filter if you want completely clean audio. I've got mine wired straight to the battery and I still get a little noise. it's not very bad, (barely have to turn the squelch knob) but it's still there.

stewie said:

hth

Just do what I do; only let skinny girls ride shotgun.....:roflmao:

ive got mine above the radio on the dash attatched with a strip of beefy velcro. doesn't move much if at all. no headroom/legroom taken. no flying mics. although i do disconnect the mic when im not gonna use it cause the cord tends to dangle in the way of the radio.

Flyfisher said:
I mounted my CB the same as 12Gauge...might be a problem with tall passengers (one's with long legs), but otherwise is fine. My problem is chasing an engine whine coming through the CB.

Noise varies with engine RPM's...is present with or without antenna connected. I've got power connected to aux in fuse box, and ground connected to fuse box mounting screw (tested it and it's a solid ground).

Wondering if it might be eliminated by connecting power directly to battery...and ground to different/better chassis ground. Or, do I need a noise filter on the power lead?

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Try running both + and - to the battery and see if it goes away. If not, you can build an RFI filter cheap. Go to Radio Shack and buy a pack of their 273-104 RF Chokes. They come in a 2- pack for $8.39. Wind it with some 16 or 18 gauge speaker wire as many time as you can. Kind of like it is in the picture, but you don't have to wind it on just 2 sides. Wrap it 3-4 times each on all four sides of the choke and wire tie it to keep it from comming loose. I like to use speaker wire because you can filter both the postitive and negitive wires. Run a wire for + and - to the battery and mount this securely as close to the battery as you can, paying close attention to which wire is + and - as they go through the filter. You will hook up power to your radio backwards once. What this does is "chokes" the RFI between the source of the noise and the radio. One may not be enough though. If it does not work with one choke, wind the first one, then do the same thing to another one..... and so on. I had to use 4 such set-ups to get rid of the fuel pump noise in the Ranger. This works. Sorry I don't have better pics.
273-104chokes.jpg

Last edited:
i put mine on the trans tunnel, passenger side. it doesn't take up hardly any room at all. i havent had any one complain about it at all, not even my 6'2" 235 lb room mate who rides shotty occasionally.

Here's mine. I just made a little over head console to mount it from out of a piece of sheetmetal and some 1/4" x 1/4" angle. It turned out alright...I still need to paint it however.

P1010094.jpg

P1010095.jpg

Back