• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Couldn't get into gear

Dest

NAXJA Forum User
So today as I was going to work I come to a light, and when I go to take off the jeep won't go into gear. I tried 1,2 and 3 then just shut it off and waited a minute, turned it back on then it was alright. It then happened after the next light, it wouldn't go into second so I coasted for a little bit as I was coming to my stop, and then it eventually went in. A few hours later I went home and the jeep was its normal self. I've had trouble shifting before, all when I would think that the tranny would be hotter than normal (9+ hour road trip, stuck and rocking from 1 to R a lot). I was also driving quite faster than normal today, multiple stops/quick accelerations.

'96 sport. Thanks for any ideas.

This is a Manual I take it with an AX-15. Sounds like its time for a rebuilt or rebuild it yourself. BTW when was the last time that you changed your oil? notice much metal in it or at any particular time?

I didn't do the last one myself, but I've done the past several and I didn't notice any metal.

When you push the clutch in, you can't shift it into gear?

Seems to me that your clutch isn't disengaging. You'll probably need a new master or slave cylinder, or perhaps a full clutch replacement.

I have a '93 with an AX15 and have had the same problem. I'm pretty sure its the master cylinder. Wait and see if it keeps acting up before you do anything because mine first started 4 years ago and it seemed really bad but now without having done anything it only happens 1-2x per year (usually in the winter).

Yeah with this many miles on the car I'll be driving it until the clutch completely goes.

Back