• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cheap to no $$ mods?

userbmx1315

NAXJA Forum User
lookin for things i can do to the jeep on my days off work when i get bored. i've trimmed up front and rear, added lights n such. what other mods could i do that is cheap or free. or small projects that i could do to help in the long run, but still keep my jeep on the road. its my D.D.
Thanks ahead of time.
AJ

I painted my wheels, grill, bumper, and headlight surrounds the other day. Cost 4.99 for a can of paint.

Clean, prime and paint/undercoat everything under it.

Run a couple extra 12v plug ins to different places, or run heavier wire/relays for the headlights.

Clean the lip off the throttle body.

For the money....I want to 2nd the vote for doorless. You will get the biggest bang for your buck!!!! You'll wonder why the hell you didn't do it sooner......party1:

i've been running doorless for bout 4 months now. love it.

i want to take out the carpet and line it. is there any "plastic" type material i can put back on it?
what about welding my cracked header? hard?

for the header i would say get JB weld has worked for me in the past and we just did it to my buddys 88 dakota and its workin out great for him

Add a cargo light to the back and maybe the inside of the hatch

I just did 2 ga welding cable for battery cables and new clamps...That added a bunch of new life when I hit the key

Crimzon316 said:
for the header i would say get JB weld has worked for me in the past and we just did it to my buddys 88 dakota and its workin out great for him

doesnt cost much, but its a waste. I tried to JB Weld up a crack in the header of my 95. within one day the JB Weld had turned to a powdery substance.

for a cheep "mod" i started to clean my engine compartment. i used dish soap in a bucket and scrubbed every surface i could. it allowed me to find where some leaks were coming from by tracing the fresh fluid residue. I also found that my CCV lines were dry rotted and cracked. I found some grounds that were corroded and other maintanence issues.

homade snorkel...I made one out of 2 in pvc dwv. Silicone all vacume lines and like sketchyxj said use that grease stuff in the plug wires to keep water from making it miss there. Im really gettin into water proofing my xj...Another thing is some back up lights if you dont already have some. That is one of my next saturday projects. Just some cheap blazer lights on a toggle to help backing up at night...I could go on and on...

userbmx1315 said:
i've been running doorless for bout 4 months now. love it.

i want to take out the carpet and line it. is there any "plastic" type material i can put back on it?
what about welding my cracked header? hard?

The best thing to do with the header is just replace it. If i were you i would get one with the flex joints in it to prevent it from cracking again.

Get under it and take care of any RUST forming. If you wait to long, Rust will be a never ending project. Ask me how I know :looney:

After that, give everything under your vehicle generous coating of WD-40 or boiled linseed oil. Trust me, all of this will go a long way.

Back