• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

?powersteering out when braking?

smokenxj

NAXJA Forum User
What the heck is going on here???!!! I hit the brakes to slow for a turn and I loose all powersteering. Any help would be greatly appreciated.I cant live without the jeep!!!

That's odd? I know on my F250 diesel you can have that problem if you brake master cylinder is going out since it assists the powersteering. Some kind of highpressure assist or something or another but I don't think an XJ has the same set up?

Power steering pump on the way out and at low rpm's it doesn't work very well. Had that happen twice. Possible it could be your problem also.

Kim

havasu1 said:
That's odd? I know on my F250 diesel you can have that problem if you brake master cylinder is going out since it assists the powersteering. Some kind of highpressure assist or something or another but I don't think an XJ has the same set up?
That's backwards. It's called hydroboost. The p/s pump provides extra power to the brakes instead of vacuum.

Start with Kim's suggestion.

Back