• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator drain XXXX?

On my 96 it points toward passenger fender out the side of the radiator. I had to remove the grill to access it!

My 96 has it in the same spot on both the stock and aftermarket radiators, the stock radiator didn't have a spot to plug a hose in, so it kind of made a mess when I drained it. I used a big bucket to catch "most" of the coolant.

This guy has a few pictures, maybe it will help you find it:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=939497

The 98 has a plastic drain plug with a wierd-ass thread and an "O'-ring to seal it in the plastic tank,No real good way to reach it properly to tighten it .I used a hole saw to cut away some of the headlight bucket to reach the plug.
Best to just pull the hose off.

Wayne

ehall said:
I disagree with pulling the hose. The grill comes off with 8 screws in about 2 minutes and the petcock is right there.

Then, attach a rubber hose to the drain, stick a wrench in there and loosen it a few turns. Coolant runs down into a bucket and everything stays nice and clean.

iwannadie said:
Then, attach a rubber hose to the drain, stick a wrench in there and loosen it a few turns. Coolant runs down into a bucket and everything stays nice and clean.

There is nothing to attach a hose to. It is not like a brass drain valve,just a big hole

Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
There is nothing to attach a hose to. It is not like a brass drain valve,just a big hole

Wayne

Mine is a drain valve, a piece of thin heater hose slips right on it. Replace your plug with a drain valve maybe?

ehall said:
I disagree with pulling the hose. The grill comes off with 8 screws in about 2 minutes and the petcock is right there.
On my 96 that sort of works. On the 97 and newer it is tough to access that way. Up from the bottom is ok but far from reasonable. Even on the 96 why should a person need to take 8 screws out to loosen 1 valve?

iwannadie said:
Mine is a drain valve, a piece of thin heater hose slips right on it. Replace your plug with a drain valve maybe?

Have to agree the OEM plug has no place for a tube. Nothing wrong with upgrading but how tough to get it right to begin with?

NWPhotog said:
Have to agree the OEM plug has no place for a tube. Nothing wrong with upgrading but how tough to get it right to begin with?

The radiator on my jeep was stock when I got it, it had the drain valve. My csf 3 core came with just a drain plug though.

Can't say Drain XXXX, funny....

My Renix XJ has the petcock facing the passenger fender just behind the grill.....
No hose on mine either, just one big mess......

Back