• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

frost plug question

codyj86

NAXJA Forum User
so I pulled my motor. simple rebuilt everything but bearings and rings. I ordered up a frost plug set from advance auto online because they couldn't get them in the store. i got them today here's what i got:
IMAGE_004.jpg

ok. so here's my block:
IMAGE_002.jpg

and:
IMAGE_003.jpg

ok, so i've got 6 2" holes, and 1 a bit bigger. i chose not to do the plug in the head just because. but, as you see, i got 4 2" plugs (bottom 4) and one a bit bigger (for the back of the block, lower right) and 2 small plugs that i'm not sure where they go. my question: are there 2 small plugs on the right side of the motor (i didn't pull the dist off or the brackets and crap) and also, why did i only get 4 2" plugs? do i have a different motor than what i ordered for? (95) It's not an issue as i'll just get the 2 more 2" plugs, i'm just wondering.

Thanks

I have the same number of freeze plugs (5) on the side on my 96 block. I don't think I replaced the cam shaft plug (the machine shop didn't take it out when they hot-tanked the block) but did do the back of the head plug. I still have the two little plugs, didn't see anything they fit, probably some models have them instead of the screw-in plugs on the side under the 5 main plugs?
I don't remember how many plugs I got in my kit though but don't think I had to go get more.
www.rockauto.com shows a separate plug for the camshaft hole. They have plug measurements for both that and the water jacket plugs so you can check against what you have.
Who knows - the I6 was used for a _long_ time and they probably stock a generic set. Someone on here posted a picture of an older block with 6 plugs on the side.

Don't forget to replace the o-rings between the oil filter mount and the block while everything's accessable.

Don't use the steel ones, get brass ones, they will last longer.

well, i would but i'm hoping to stroke with in a year or so, i'll change them then. this is a 'cheap as i can' rebuild.

oh, and i've replaced teh oil filter adapter o-rings. actually every gasket except the timing cover cause i was lazy. haha

Back