• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Steering Wheel

VanillaGorilla said:
I'm having trouble finding an adapter to slap a Grants racing wheel on my '96 Sport...the problem is the stupid airbag! Any suggestions?
you have to remove the airbag. i got my adapter through napa.... and this belongs in the mod tech forum not land use ;)

oh and mine is a 95, same deal.

also, if you dont know what you are doing don't attempt to remove the airbag yourself, you could kill yourself if it goes off in your face when you are not expecting it.

:roll: Are you less likley to die if you expect it? JK

i have done this you need to back the bolt out tio disarm the air bag. it is behined the plug on top of the center of the wheel. the take the air bag out and take the stock wheel off. i got a adapter for a 73 plymoth scamp it has a big cover plate to macth thwe hole on the colum

Why are you pulling the airbag to begin with??

Some states have issues with airbags being removed unless you have a doctors note or the bag has been previously deployed.....

hes pulling the airbag to replace his oem wheel with an aftermarket wheel. leave him alone, no need to start quoting regulations...

xcm said:
hes pulling the airbag to replace his oem wheel with an aftermarket wheel. leave him alone, no need to start quoting regulations...

Indeed, once we start modding our rigs we get into legal issues all over. I doubt there's anyone running 37" tires who is 100% legal in the law's eyes. :eyes:

I've debated this wheel mod myself with my 96 since it only sees trail duty anymore and only hits the highway to get there. ;)

Apply voltage, pop bag, legal issues over!

disconnect the battery the day before.
shouldn't have many problems after that.

razdrvr said:
Apply voltage, pop bag, legal issues over!

ECKSJAY said:
Remove, transport to remote location, attach leads, set up vid camera, apply voltage, post vid on YouTube. :D

tomcat said:
disconnect the battery the day before.
shouldn't have many problems after that.

The 1995 and 1996 MY XJs are unique in that they have a completely mechanical airbag system, the airbag can be activated at any time, with a large enough force transmitted through the steering column. NOTHING in the system is ELECRTIC.

disconnecting the battery will have nothing to do with the functionality.

As previously stated there is a release bolt on the top of the airbag, if you look just over the top of the airbag you will see a plastic plug about in the center, pop the plug out. you will find a gold colored 8mm bolt, unscrew it all the way out untill it stops. Then you can undo the 4 10mm nuts that hold the airbag in place.

JeepFreak21 said:
Is that first-hand knowledge? I heard that rumor too, but they go pretty cheap on eBay. :dunno:
Billy

I've sold a couple on ebay for $30-60.

I have one of the mechanical airbags sitting in my garage in reserve.

Back