• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock cat removal?!?

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
I'm going to register my '98 in Florida, they have no such thing as state inspections, safety, emissions, or otherwise :yelclap: , and need to know if I can eliminate the cat w/o sensor or computer problems.

The only performance mod I've done is a massive K&N cone filter and cold air intake. I'm thinking that removing the flow restrictions of a cat would make the most of the K&N, but this may be simplistic thinking.

Any thoughts? Thanks...

Mike

thats complete bullshit, you will gain vaery little gains, 2hp at most, its not worth it, keep it on

ROBZ95Xj said:
thats complete bullshit, you will gain vaery little gains, 2hp at most, its not worth it, keep it on
Well considering mine has 300+ miles on it,it freed up a little hp.not saying an exact amount,it was an estimate,smart guy!

You will need a small amount of backpressure on a Jeep to keep the MPG up as well as torque and Horsepower. Is there a front and rear O2 sensor on your Jeep?

In my older model Jeep, it only has one, so i am golden. I have the Cat housing w/o any internals and i get a little backpressure from my muffler and exhaust.

On the newer Jeeps, there is an O2 sensor before and after the Cat. If you remove the cat, the computer goes crazy because it will over adjust the engine to burn hotter as the gas that is after the Cat is not any better than the gas before the cat.

Solution. Extend the wires and put a bung hole behind the muffler and install the O2 sensor there. You will gain by not having the cat and not have the computer working overtime.

in a 98 there should be one after the cat to verify that it's working, part of OBDII
I should not that it doesn't matter if you live in a state without inspections, removing the cat is a federal offense, and most muffler shops won't touch it if they see the cat has been replaced with pipe or gutted.
just keep it, a properly functioning cat does not cost horsepower.

Thanks so far for the replies.

Two sensors, I believe...

I should have used the word "significant" in terms of cat removal benefit.

Intake mod and Bosch +4's made a noticable difference, considering I'm running 31's, and a ton of mods adding I don't know how much weight to my xj, and have not moved from 3.55's to 4.10's like I ought to... was hoping cat removal would help further (cheaply).

I also have H4's that are illegal, but have never been picked up by NYS inspectors/shop owners, though they have managed to bend me over for a headlight alignment, human nature to screw over your fellow man, I guess?!?

Appreciate the heads up regarding muffler shops, but the day I can't solve an exhaust snafu will be the same day I lease an H3:hang:

Mike

Back