• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New brakes, making scraping sound and heat

rammie

NAXJA Forum User
Replaced hubs, rotors, and brake pads today. Went for a drive and could hear a metal scraping sound (like when your brake pads need replacing) while driving. Stopped it and the front wheels were hot, lug nuts and everything (rear wheels were fine). So it sure seems like they are dragging a bit (although not enough to hold it in place while in Drive).

Im wondering if its a tight fit with the new rotors and pads (Raybestos Advanced Technology series of rotors and pads) or is the caliper sticking? Hoses gone bad? Didnt have this problem before the replacements. Any ways to solve this problem quickly?

Or do I need to tear back into it and mess with the calipers?

I just checked the brake fluid and it has gotten dark, mustve been burnt. Before the test drive it was clear and new. Fluid level is still fine. Any clues on whats going on here?

You didn't give us a year, but let's assume that it's close enough to mine. First off, did you lube up the pins that the caliper slides on? Are you sure that you got them back together exactly like it was before? Put it back on the jack and try spinning the wheels, and if it's making noise, or binding look to see what the problem is.

make sure your rotors look identical to the old ones, there are two types-- composite and solid. If you get the wrong ones, they will not be centered on the caliper correctly and rub a bunch.

I changed my brakes a while ago. Test drove, and one of the front brakes seized on me. I changed the calipers and had no more problems.

a bent backing plate is a common problem when you do front brakes, check it out. it wouldn't make your brake fluid dark though. that is usually from age or bad internal rubber parts.

Forgot to say, its a 99 with cast rotors. Replaced with cast rotors (but did new hubs so they match regardless). Dust shield isnt rubbing, thats the first thing I checked. I put anti-seize on the caliper pins, is there some other lube I should use for that?

The brake fluid was clear and clean when I started out, when I got back from test drive (2-3 miles) it was dark and there was a ton of heat coming off both front wheels. The whole front was hot enough I could barely touch the hood to open it.

Putting the calipers on was a tight squeeze, I had to push the piston back with a clamp to get them open enough.

I will check it on the jack again today when I get home (this is not my DD), appreciate the suggestions so far...

So I got it in the air and spun the wheels, they pads are dragging pretty heavily. Seems that the caliper doesnt release enough to free the pads. I can turn the rotors by hand but it is difficult. Doesnt need to move back very much, but I dont know how to get the calipers to back off?

brake lines can be a problem if they are bad internally. did you let the calipers hang by the lines? as unlikly as it seems this does happen,especialy if you replace all the fluid and the rubber lines are old & deteriorated. they won't release the pressure because they are gunked up. this will also turn your brake fluid dark. if you replaced your brake lines recently it's unlikly that this is your problem, it's specific to old deteriorated rubber lines.

Havent done the lines yet, will be picking some up tomorrow (as they look kinda stretched), along with new calipers. I took the caliper off the rotor and had a friend step on the brake. It did not release, each pump of the pedal made it come out farther. The other side did retract but only slightly. So basically something is not allowing them to release (unless they dont retract when off the rotor???) Might as well replace everything since its cheap enough and I want to be on the safe side. Might look into getting a proprtioning valve, as Ive seen that it could also be at fault in these types of situations.

The piston will not retract without the rotor pushing it back. I suspect that the calipers are sticking. Replace or rebuild them when you change out your lines.

Back