• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does this look fishy to anyone else?

88 Wagonman

NAXJA Forum User
http://boise.craigslist.org/car/736959477.html
Is this combo even possible? I don't recall there being a v6 engine in an 87 and I didn't think that there was ever a push button transfer case. It is also very suspicious that the badge on the back says wagoneer and the title says cherokee. I can also see the transfer case lever in the picture. Any thoughts?

Just because thhey list V6 doesn't actually mean much cause some people assume a 6 is V. Looks jus like one that the IC guys picked up for the Give Away.

88 Wagonman said:
I don't recall there being a v6 engine in an 87 and I didn't think that there was ever a push button transfer case. It is also very suspicious that the badge on the back says wagoneer and the title says cherokee. I can also see the transfer case lever in the picture. Any thoughts?
Agreed, many people see "6" and think V6 not straight 6, but the first couple years did have a V6.
Wagoneer is a top of the line Cherokee with four headlights and "wood" trim.
Look closely, there may be a small "side to side" lever / switch for the transfer case right BEHIND the shifter.

PhotographerMike said:
Agreed, many people see "6" and think V6 not straight 6, but the first couple years did have a V6.
Wagoneer is a top of the line Cherokee with four headlights and "wood" trim.
Look closely, there may be a small "side to side" lever / switch for the transfer case right BEHIND the shifter.
Your right about the top of the line, I happen to have an 88 just like the picture, I was just a bit skeptical with all of the odd inaccuracies. Anyone ever know of an XJ with push button transfer case?

No. It didn't exsist. He may have meant, pull-lever transfer case? Because that's what it is, and it's an I6 unless somebody pulled the original out and tossed a 2.8 in there (I have no idea why anyone would do that..)

84-86 were the 2.8

87-01 all had inline 6

danny Benavidez said:
It can be a V6 and about the push button transfer case I do not think so

The optional, 2.8-liter, two-barrel V6 (which was actually supplied by Chevrolet) produced but 115 horses 1984~?

Read The History Of The XJ I copy from www.edmunds.com
http://www.iidesign.info/Or_Photo/xjpast.PDF

Danny www.BlueXJ.com

1987 was the first year of the 4.0-The chevrolet 2.8 was dropped. It was used in S-10s in RWD format, and several GM A-body's in FWD configurations.

It doesnt look bad for $1200. Check it out, im almost certain it has the 4.0 in it. And yeah the Wagoneers are very nice. :)

If you look at the picture of the rear, it has the V6 2.8L badge. I would have to say it is a 86 and not an 87. The inline 6's badge would just be the "4.0"

Just went and looked at it. I pulled up in my almost identical 88 wagoneer ltd. The look on his face was worth the drive. As I was lifting the hood he said "I may have told you the wrong year, I think it's an '86" so yes, it had the V6. I also looked inside to see about the transfer case and sure enough, it had a manual lever. He seemed a little pissed that I wasn't interested in even hearing it run or looking at it any further after hearing the year, but his fault not mine. So anyway, more wasted gas looking for an XJ for the wife.

Back