• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB mounting locations

Joepoppa1

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if anyone has some pics of how and where their CB is mounted or suggestions on where to mount mine. I want to mount it permenantly, and wanted to see what kind of set up yall have.

Firstly, do a search, there are lots of threads on this subject, and many of them have helpful pictures illustrating their installations.

That said, this has been an issue for me as well. For now I am using an el-cheapo mag mount that lives in the garage unless I'm wheeling, but I plan to install a 2 meter ham radio in my rig and I will want a more permanent installation.

Many have mounted their antennas on the rear quarter panel. I've also seen some mounted right above one of the taillights. This is okay for keeping the antenna out of the way, but not the best for signal propagation.

The center of the roof is the very best place to mount an antenna from a radio wave perspective. The sheetmetal roof provides a good groundplane and keeps the RF energy out of the cab for the most part. The problem with this installation is breaking your antenna on tree limbs or overhangs.

I have thought about mounting my antenna to the front bumper. It seems like this would put it out of the way, I would be able to see it so I would know if it was going to hit something, and it seems like it would work reasonably well, other than putting ~50W PEP into the cab.

I am mounting the antenna on the driver side just above the tail light. I am building a doorjam mount for that. I dont think it would be that practical or good looking to have a 4' Firestick poking off the roof of my rig.
eugene.gif

I was more concerned about the radio itself and where to mount it inside the cab.

If you were a Green Bay fan I would tell ya.
bart-moon.gif

This is where it was in my '91.
If you dont have the over head you can still mount it in the same place.
Make a bracket that is held in place by the screws for the sun visor.

100_1584B.jpg

Other places (no pics)............
in my '99 I had it under the dash, left side of the steering wheel. But you can use the right side too.

Center console by the passenger seat is another option.

I have seen pics where people have mounted it in the storage between the seats and in the dash too.

Thanks for reminding me my C.B. is fried.
ANI26.gif

You going to Henrietta this weekend?

Can't make it to henni this weekend. I wish I could. I dont have the overhead console in mine either. I did see a nice set up where it was mounted between the visors, but if I am gonna have it in all the time, I kinda need to keep it on the down low. Oh, and by the way...

438px-Dallas_Cowboys.svg.png

BOO COWBOYS GO GIANTS

Now on the CB I have mine mounted between the visors there is the extra brace from the windshield so it was easy to screw in pop the mic cord over top and I forget its there no obstruction of view and looks clean. My antenna even though you already have a plan is mounted where my rear wiper used to be since it didn't work anyways

The search feature would be your best friend on this one....

I dare not say HOW MANY posts there are on this one subject alone....

BTW, Mine radio is mpunted below the steering column in the "crotch" vent. I pulled the tube, pulled out the trim panel which holds the vent and popped the radio in there....

Back