• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My jeep is quiet now

magimerlin

NAXJA Forum User
Well I have know that my mani was cracked for a while know. I just didn't relize how bad. Finally got a chance to replace it this A.M. Then went and had a flex pipe installed for good measure. And the tech info-- I used an Dorman replacement OEM style manifold. Here are a couple pics of the cracks. Well my mileage should go back up now and she is quiet again
inner(motor) side view
crackedmanifold003.jpg

outer(fender) side
crackedmanifold001.jpg

flex pipe, on the higher part of the pipe by the cat
flexpipe001.jpg

Probably a dumb question - but whats the flex pipe for? Other than the obvious (to allow flex in the exhaust)...? How much does it actually flex?

Looks good!

JNickel101 said:
Probably a dumb question - but whats the flex pipe for? Other than the obvious (to allow flex in the exhaust)...? How much does it actually flex?

Looks good!

You guessed it. It flex's. :jester:j/k I just wanted alittle extra flex for the manifold so that there is no chance for it to crack again. Well thats the idea behind it that is..

JNickel101 said:

Looks good!

probably enough to keep the movement of the exhaust from breaking the welds on the manifold. Right?

FlexdXJ said:
probably enough to keep the movement of the exhaust from breaking the welds on the manifold. Right?
Yup that was my thought behind the mod. Not alot of flex but enough to stop any future stress on the mani.

magimerlin said:
Well I have know that my mani was cracked for a while know. I just didn't relize how bad. Finally got a chance to replace it this A.M. Then went and had a flex pipe installed for good measure. And the tech info-- I used an Dorman replacement OEM style manifold. Here are a couple pics of the cracks. Well my mileage should go back up now and she is quiet again
inner(motor) side view

That's what mine looked like. It was nice and quiet until I put that Cherry Bomb on it. ;)

If you haven't done so yet, check your engine mounts.

Saudade said:
That's what mine looked like. It was nice and quiet until I put that Cherry Bomb on it. ;)

If you haven't done so yet, check your engine mounts.

I replaced my mounts about 2 weeks ago with Brown Dog Industries poly mounts. My oem ones were shot. I also did the tranny mount(replaced with oem style) about a week or more befor that.

magimerlin said:
I replaced my mounts about 2 weeks ago with Brown Dog Industries poly mounts. My oem ones were shot. I also did the tranny mount(replaced with oem style) about a week or more befor that.

I just ordered some brown dog poly mounts. How are yours? Engine feel any different?

I'm sure its been covered but I'm too lazy to search tonight! Where did you get the flex coupling and how much was it? Part number if you have that too!

Thanks

I just welded my manifold and it made a big difference but I'm sure it will crack again if I don't get the stress off of it.

xjtrailrider said:
I'm sure its been covered but I'm too lazy to search tonight! Where did you get the flex coupling and how much was it? Part number if you have that too!

Thanks

I just welded my manifold and it made a big difference but I'm sure it will crack again if I don't get the stress off of it.

I do not have a welder so, I had my exhaust shop do it for me so they used what was on there shelf, so I am not sure the brand or size. I am quessing it is 2.25" as that is the size on my stock exhaust. For the part and the labor and welding the rest of my exhaust system up while they were at it only costed me $80.00.

My thought of why they are cracking was more because the thin brittle metal and getting hot then cold, then hot and so forth, an so on.

But I guess some relief in pressure would be good too.

Back