• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bleeding the Slave probs

MrShaft696

NAXJA Forum User
About 2 weeks ago I replaced my clutch master cyl and saturday i got around to replacing the slave. I cant get the slave to bleed, I had no probs with the other one, releasing the set screw and air shooting out of the bleeder hole. Now i cannot get anything to come out of the bleeder hole. I still have a firm pedal but after a while it goes a little soft till i pump it a few times. What could i be missing, what am I not trying. This is what it looks like

slave.JPG

The one my son bought for his 96 had an undrilled bleeder hole. Rather than risk a drilling mistake to bleed it the conventional way, I simply filled the reservoir and pushed the slave in as far as it would go (after connecting but before mounting) a few times, and then let it go slowly. The slave is supposedly designed to displace more fluid than the master, so when you do this, it should work. He said when he drove it that it seemed mushy for the first few shifts, but then firmed up and worked fine.

Really>? thats crazy why put the damn bleeder thing on there if it needs to be drilled? Nothing is escaping from the bleeder even with the set screw removed, maybe that is the case i have to further investigate.

A vacuum bleeder is the only way to go.

well i sourced the problem and it is as matthew currie said. I took the set screw out of the bleeder hole popped a drill bit in there for like 2 seconds and bam fluid & giant air bubble. So for some reason it comes with the bleeder but you have to punch it out to use it. I got the replacment part from napa.

After 94 the clutch systems were one piece units form the dealer ship. IIRC 94 was the year they went back to external slaves. Prebleed and ready to bolt in. When I went to the 94 engine swap on my 84 The only place I could find a master and slave was the dealer. OF course that was 5 years ago.

Back