• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lining up mounts

1988cherokeexj

NAXJA Forum User
hey i im installing my engine today and im lifting it in and trying to line up the motor mounts and stuff but i can get them too they keep like missing by like and inch and stuff so i dont no what to do. whast the best way to do it?

thanks mike

use a pry bar to move the engine so that the mounts (one at a time) line up. a good amount of leverage would help out. we use a "pin hole wrench" at work when we are trying to line up valves with flanges and get them bolted on. im talking 12", 16"+ diamiter pipe. the same may work for you. take a line up tool (similar to a punch) when the mounts are almost lined up, to get it even closer. then slide the bolt in. an extra set of hands also would help.

Jack the engine up with a hydraulic jack. Use a block of wood between the jack and oil pan to distribute the load. Don't bolt the mount on the chassis side in until you get the long bolt in. Then lower the jack and it should fall right in.

Back