• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I lift my 92 XJ 4.0L with 240,000 miles?

HIGH CALIBER

NAXJA Forum User
Everyone,

I purchased a 1992 Cherokee Sport 2-Door from a co-worker this past winter.
I purchased my stead for $800 with an additional $140 for DMV fees and $250 for insurance (6 month policy as second car) and about $60 to do the transmission lines/fittings. So I spent a whole $1,250 on this beast so far.

I was rather happy having a JEEP in the driveway for weekend cruising but now I am thinking it will be my DD in the near future. I wanted to sell my other car (1998 Camaro RS) and either fix this one up or buy a "newer" XJ to fix up with the profits from the Camaro.

What should I do? Fix or Buy Newer?

My current XJ is in great mechanical condition other than having 240,000 miles on it. There is only a couple rusty spots on the entire body, however, the entire suspension is shot. I get rear spring twist on acceleration and heavy bumps, it is noisy and harsh. It has crappo tires/rims on it (factory rims with all the little holes in them, yuck). I definitely need tires/suspension by winter 2008.

Thank you everyone,

-Danny

HIGH CALIBER said:
Everyone,

I purchased a 1992 Cherokee Sport 2-Door from a co-worker this past winter.
I purchased my stead for $800 with an additional $140 for DMV fees and $250 for insurance (6 month policy as second car) and about $60 to do the transmission lines/fittings. So I spent a whole $1,250 on this beast so far.

I was rather happy having a JEEP in the driveway for weekend cruising but now I am thinking it will be my DD in the near future. I wanted to sell my other car (1998 Camaro RS) and either fix this one up or buy a "newer" XJ to fix up with the profits from the Camaro.

What should I do? Fix or Buy Newer?

My current XJ is in great mechanical condition other than having 240,000 miles on it. There is only a couple rusty spots on the entire body, however, the entire suspension is shot. I get rear spring twist on acceleration and heavy bumps, it is noisy and harsh. It has crappo tires/rims on it (factory rims with all the little holes in them, yuck). I definitely need tires/suspension by winter 2008.

Thank you everyone,

-Danny

I love my 98 XJ. I can't think of anything I could replace it with, except maybe another Jeep. They really don't make anything like what I have though. Personally I'd fix her up, and buy another! :D

I lifted and have wheeled the piss out of my 93 that I bought for $500 and it is nearing in on the 300,000 range. Now granted I have put a couple grand into it now with lift, tires, lockers, gears etc, it has been very reliable and worth every penny. I also have a 99 w/ a 2" BB in it for my DD and love both rigs. I cant imagine not having at least 2 Jeeps :D I am down to 2 from the 5 earlier this year....my neighbors hated me!!

tigerShark said:

Yes to wich question? I guess you mean lifting my current rig...lol.
I wanted to go with a budget lift originally but don't want to salvage hunt, I just don't want to dump two grand into my 92 and it poops out via trans or engine in near future :flame: .

The poster below with 300K on a modded rig, that is amazing. You are giving me hope.

Thanks again everyone,

-Danny

remember if your engine craps out you can usually find a replacement for about $300, so if you have a good body and interior, an engine is usually the least of my worries, unless you dont have the place or know how on replaceing the engine. It will vary from person to person on what their opinion is on this, but I enjoy wrenching on my rigs so a motor swap is not that big of deal anymore (plus I have a sweet new shop! :D)

XJ&TJ4ME said:
remember if your engine craps out you can usually find a replacement for about $300, so if you have a good body and interior, an engine is usually the least of my worries, unless you dont have the place or know how on replaceing the engine. It will vary from person to person on what their opinion is on this, but I enjoy wrenching on my rigs so a motor swap is not that big of deal anymore (plus I have a sweet new shop! :D)

I haven't done any real auto work in 20 years. I just started doing stuff to my XJ, and I find it easy to understand and work on. I'll be honest that auto trans has me worried. I think I can fix just about everything else.

I am down to 2 from the 5 earlier this year....my neighbors hated me!!

lol! cool, but we need pictures to fully enjoy...

Mechanically, it's not unusual for regularly maintained XJ's to get 300,000 miles with no rebuilds. The 4.0L, AW4, and NP231 or 242 are all excellent units. The rear D35 is a turd, but will hold up fine to light/moderate wheeling on tires up to 31-32". If the body and mechanicals are all good and you maintain things well, it should be good to go for a long time.

I lifted my '91 with 200,000 on it almost a year ago, I have no regrets.

fubar XJ said:
Mechanically, it's not unusual for regularly maintained XJ's to get 300,000 miles with no rebuilds. The 4.0L, AW4, and NP231 or 242 are all excellent units. The rear D35 is a turd, but will hold up fine to light/moderate wheeling on tires up to 31-32". If the body and mechanicals are all good and you maintain things well, it should be good to go for a long time.

I lifted my '91 with 200,000 on it almost a year ago, I have no regrets.

I figured the AW4 was a gooder, or everyone just accepted it would fail since I never see anyone complain about the AW4.

Frankly I was afraid to ask. lol Thanks.

'91-'94 are excellent Jeeps to build, the best of the older style IMO. Great powertrain less the rear axle, cheap to buy and maintain, and pretty darn reliable.

I'd say go for it, you won't regret it.

Make sure you have good structual integrity! Then lift. I lifted my 89 and my shocks are rust rods but with time and effort things start coming around and feeling newer than a 1989 or which ever year you build.

I just put a Rough Country 3" lift in my 96 XJ with 170,000 miles. Best thing I ever did. Get the full spring packs in the rear though, don't do a add-a-leaf system, especially since your springs are shot anyway.

I lifted mine after I bought it which was good because it replaced many on the major wear components on the suspension. I would say lift it 3.5" with re stuff and put some 31s(or 32s if you cut it and regear). Just have fun and keep an eye out for a local engine with lower miles and poss a trans and t-case... and if its got a d35 well...get at least a junkyard 8.25

Thank you everyone,

I have a Chrysler 8.25 in the rear already and a (High Pinion) Dana 30 up front.
I had the local dealer run my vin, that is why I have all the info and I purchased the rig from it's original owner. He is a family friend and owns a parts store...lol. You look under the hood and there is a shiny new alternator, starter, wires...ect..ect. He was anal about replacing everything before it broke. He said he was never stranded in the 237,000 miles he drove it, except for a blow out on the front left tire at 70mph! That was this past January. A couple weeks before I purchased it from him.

I don't have access to rock crawling or any extreme 4X4 action here on Long Island, nevertheless, I am literally surrounded by beaches. I didn't buy my wheeling permits yet cause she ain't lifted. My friends with hooked up rigs say to wheel her stock to get a feel for things, I am afraid I am going to high center on a dune or something stupid w/o lifting it.

Ahh just thinking out loud.

So the general consensus it to LIFT IT HIGH!!!!

could I get a 3.5" without a SYE?

-Danny

I like the 4.5" lift I got from RC. If you get the SYE first, or even at the same time, you won't have to use the 1" transmission drop that comes with the kit.

I would recommend full leaf replacement install of "add a leaf" with any lift you buy.

Blaine B. said:
Why didn't you do a full leaf replacement on your rig, Mudderoy? I noticed your sig says 4.5" AAL.

It was another $245 (I think), and I didn't have it. Two of my OEM tires needed replacement -100 days ago and I didn't want to pay another $200 for those little whimpy things. To get the BFG's I needed a lift, wheels, etc...

I knew I'd replace them later, plus I have the UpCountry suspension so I gambled with the AAL.

I'll probably get the full leaf springs from RC within the next couple of months.

I'd say lift it and enjoy it. You can always swap the suspension over to a newer XJ if you need to (that's my plan for when mine dies/falls apart).

Back