• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hard starting after driving jeep for a bit

93xjpos

NAXJA Forum User
my jeep starts up fine when i go out after it sat awhile but if i drive it in town or somewhere shut it off off then run in somewhere then try to start it, it is hard to start.seem like when it gets warm its hard to start i try turning the key ahead to kick the fuel pump in a couple times no help,but if i turn it over and it wont go i stop and try again it fires right up. any ideas gotta figure it out before i burn my starter out lol.

Hi,
Top of my list of suspects would be the CPS (Crankshaft position sensor) when mine failed it would just cut out while driving along and would not restart for about 15 to 20 minutes. They are difficult to get at, it is bolted to the top of the bell housing, there are plenty of write ups on here, just search for CPS.
Hope this helps.

Try stepping on the gas when this happens while you are cranking it. Mine did the same thing. I have found that after pulling the throttle body disassembling and scrubbing everything out and reassembling that the problem went away. Some have said that it is a throttle position sensor. I noticed that my idle air control valve was stuck closed when I pulled my TB off. Your guess is as good as mine as to what causes it.

I figured it out. It was the tempreture sensor. When I fixed it the jeep runs fine now.

Back