• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rookie question

climbingbum

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed my transfer case was leakin tran fluid pretty bad so the other day so i made the mistake of takin it to the local jeep dealership to se what they could do. Turns out there are 2 or 3 seals on its that are leakin and need to be replaced. Thing is they want over $800 for the work including atleast 6 hours labor. whats your opinion too much money and time, or is it in the ball park?

Wow! I just had the same thing happening and went to the dealer and they told me the same thing except their price was around $700. I guess Florida labor is a little less than AZ. Anyway, I asked them where it was leaking, they said the front output shaft seal, the case seal, and the drain plug. I had them replace the drain plug and the leak stopped. Under no circumstances would I have them take the unit out to seal it up. It would be death of a thousand cuts, and I'd have a bill of $1500 in no time.

My decision was to have them do the plug, see if it still leaked, and if it did I was going to swap out a remanufactured unit next weekend. A place in Nevada has them, has an NP242 for my 97 on the shelf.

http://www.drivetrain.com/

Scroll down the left side until you get to transfer cases.

I didn't need on in the end, but I did talk to these folks and they seemed like they knew their business.

Mark

I usually start out by accessing what I've got for a leak. Wash off the transfer at the local quarter wash, hit the bell housing and the lower part of the motor at the same time. Oil migrates, there is always the chance the leak isn't the transfer at all.
Watch your fluids closely. If it's a serious leak and not just a seep, the levels will fall as the oil leaks out. A little oil looks like a lot.
Case leaks can often be slowed down to nearly nothing just by re-torquing the case bolts.
Front and rear transfer case seals aren't that big of a deal. unless the bearings or the bushing are worn, causing the seals to fail.
Sounds like a good job for the local community college automotive shop.
The last time I used the dealership, on trust, they gave me a $400 dollar bill for a seat belt recall. I have no qualms about calling bullchit, when they try to screw me over.
I once refused to pay, the dealership refused to give me my keys, I drove off with my extra set of keys straight to the automobile club. Had them refer me to their mechanic and let him call bullchit. The dealership paid for everything, including my time.

Back