• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need New Shock Advice

Jester99

NAXJA Forum User
After consulting with R-Jeep I want to get some better riding shocks for the front. I am currently running OME's which are suppose to be the best riding shock for the road, but I would highly disagree. These things are stiff. I wanna try something esle. I was looking at Bilstein 5150's and RE Monotubes. Any opinions from those who drive 95% street and 5% offroad?

BTW, when I ordered my OME lift I was sent the wrong rear shocks. They were suppose to be the N36's and I believe I have N35's all the way around. I didn't bother to send them back because I didn't figure it would be that big of a deal and I didn't want to mess with shipping. Could that be causing a rougher ride?

i have the 5150's up front and love them. they are night and day from the rough country ones i had on there before. iv been running the 5150's for about 15,000 miles and couldn't be happier.

IMO, RE monotubes are slightly stiffer than the OME shocks. If you don't like OME then I wouldn't recommend the RE monotubes.

I have ran doesch tech 3000's for almost 5 years now and they ride great, everyone always comments on how my xj rides better then theirs!

I love my Rancho 9000's,over 15 years and still lovin the adjustabilty.Most of the guys in our group are running them!

I'm currently running RE Twintubes that came with my lift. The Twintubes are simply Doetsch 3000's painted silver. They rode great in the beginning, but after about 8500 miles and a little over year, both of the ones on the rear leak and the ride is pretty harsh. I personally won't use them again.

IMO I'd go with the Bilsteins, but if you're looking for a deal you can call Jason at 4x4GroupBuy he'll sell you a set of the RE Monotubes for $250.

Shock Advice on Bilsteins

I have a 1990 XJ on the standard-series Bilstein shocks: the yellow ones, not the 5150s. The ride is too harsh over broken pavement and small road flaws- they crash over every crack. Since I live in deep winter country, the roads have a lot of cracks. I go from crunch to crunch on these. On big bumps and rough gravel roads, they are absolutely great.....the problem is the valving and high-pressure gas on city streets. My suspension is stock front and stock plus added full-length main leaf in rear. My daughter's jeep on Doesch Tech (sp?) rode much better, and my wife's 2001 on worn-out OEM shocks is nicer on city roads too. I wish I had bought the OME 'comfort' shocks.

Back