• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS Front shafts

OverTheHillsATTW

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a D30 with ABS. What is strong about these shafts? Bigger spline count? Bigger U-Joint? Will they fit into my Non ABS?

All ABS shafts have the larger 297 U-joints. Older, non ABS D30 shafts can have 260 U-joints. If you're getting new U-joints, you'll want to get Spicer 760 (new version of the 297, fatter Xsection, stronger) that fits in your shafts.

The ABS tone ring is just pressed on and can be removed if you don't want it. Yes, it will fit in a non-ABS D30. Non-ABS shafts will also fit your ABS D30, you just have to press a tone ring on there or the ABS won't be so happy.

All stock XJ/TJ/YJ/ZJ Dana 30 shafts have 27 spline. You can upgrade to higher spline counts if you'd like, for $$. IMO, easier to just carry a bunch of spares!!

mjma said:
All stock XJ/TJ/YJ/ZJ Dana 30 shafts have 27 spline. You can upgrade to higher spline counts if you'd like, for $$. IMO, easier to just carry a bunch of spares!!

Until your broken shafts lead to broken balljoints or a broken locker.

interferance.jpg

carnage1.jpg

balljoint-seperation.jpg

Build it not to break the first time.

To the OP:

The ABS shafts have bigger u-joints, throw some new spicer 760's in them and run them for now.

Build it not to break the first time.
=========================
If it don't break. Wheel it harder.:)

Aw Cal thats not broken... This is broken:
1110070917.jpg

:p

If you run abs on a non abs youll just have to take the hub off, and take off the abs ring. Do it to your spare axles before you get out on the trail that 36mm can be a b**** to deal with on the trail

BTW, the tone rings do *NOT* have to be pressed on.

Throw the rings in a 200 degree oven for 20-30 minutes, put the axle stubs in the freezer. They'll slide right together until the rings cool down, and the axles start to warm up (which is just seconds.) You do have to move a bit quickly for this.

lol I could see the conversation whilst doing this... "Oh what are we having for dinner?"

Axle shafts MFer. :D

Thanks for the advice.

Back