• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering after a lift is a little off.....

biztyke

NAXJA Forum User
i did a bastard pack in the rear, and just finished zj v8 coils with spacers up front to bring my xj up to 2.5" front and rear. ive got no driveline vibes, but my steering seems to be affected. it just seems more sensitive than it was, and i have to pay attention to it more or it could wander a bit. also, it no longer returns to center, the wheel returns but it leans to the right instead of going straight. im still learning, but im very capable(ive never yet had to take a vehicle into a shop). but ive never done an alignment myself before. so:

a: is it that difficult to do it properly without any special tools?
b: what specific things do i need to adjust for my symptoms?

for reference, ive been looking at http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm for instructions.

if you didnt get an adjustable track bar, i'd suggest getting one. your body/frame wont be centered over the front axle right now.

you are most likely toed in up front.

you've got a great reference site to go off of...just go from there.

well, i guess that makes sense. if my axle is off center to the drivers side, the wheel would want to lean to the passenger side to compensate, right? ive got a local jeep J/Y and im pretty sure i saw an adjustable on a zj, would that work? i notice most of the adj. trackbars are listed for xj/tj/zj compatibility, but i cant afford $150 right now so the J/Y one would be perfect. i figure i could pull a v8 zj tie rod while im at it........

ok, just took a measurement and my axle is off center by 1/2"(give or take, ill take a more precise measurement later). ive seen people suggest redrilling the mounting hole on the axle, even saw it on gojeep's site.....but i dont weld, dont have a welder.......so i would have to leave the old hole, will that be a concern?

im still gonna check out that adj trackbar at the J/Y, but i still need to know if the zj bar will work with the xj?

also, are there any junkyard sway bar links that are longer than stock on a 90? mine arent that bad, but they could do with an inch or two more.

just exploring my options.

Back