• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New alternative to rock sliders

BRIANHO13

<- Yum Chocolate
I was contacted a while back by a member on here (XJ Stryker) who needed to fix some rusting out rockers, this is what I came up with.

1/4 steel formed to the rocker that sits flush with the door seam and with the pinch seam.

25sbviq.jpg

Here is what we were working with.

20pefqs.jpg

2a7inmo.jpg

The piece that attaches the front fender to the pinch seam has to be removed.

2nsqikp.jpg

Put it in place and weld it in.

2j5ceh0.jpg

Beat on it real good with a BFH and even used the hi-lift on it. The 1/4 spreads the load out and should be able to take some pretty nasty hits.

Whether it's ground clearance or the stock appearance you want to maintain, this is what you need. One set weighs in at about 50#

As some of you may know Dirk Pitt (Adam) and myself are starting an offroad business and will be releasing a few more NEW to the XJ products. Please contact Adam or myself if you are interested in purchasing a set ($150 / set).

Please keep an eye on the give away forum in the next few days we will be giving some goodies away.

We will start taking orders and giving stuff away as soon as the state approves our paperwork…..should be anytime now.

Awesome - sounds a helluva lot like what I'm looking for. Slap some tube on there to keep things off the door handles / stand on to get at the roof (think JCR stage two sliders) and I'm in like flynn.

BRIANHO13 said:
I was contacted a while back by a member on here (XJ Stryker) who needed to fix some rusting out rockers, this is what I came up with.

1/4 steel formed to the rocker that sits flush with the door seam and with the pinch seam.

25sbviq.jpg

Here is what we were working with.

20pefqs.jpg

2a7inmo.jpg

The piece that attaches the front fender to the pinch seam has to be removed.

2nsqikp.jpg

Put it in place and weld it in.

2j5ceh0.jpg

Beat on it real good with a BFH and even used the hi-lift on it. The 1/4 spreads the load out and should be able to take some pretty nasty hits.

Whether it's ground clearance or the stock appearance you want to maintain, this is what you need. One set weighs in at about 50#

As some of you may know Dirk Pitt (Adam) and myself are starting an offroad business and will be releasing a few more NEW to the XJ products. Please contact Adam or myself if you are interested in purchasing a set ($150 / set).

Please keep an eye on the give away forum in the next few days we will be giving some goodies away.

We will start taking orders and giving stuff away as soon as the state approves our paperwork…..should be anytime now.

Not a bad idea..... but it all depends on the size of the rock and distance that you travel to get to that rock. A BFH will not give you as good of a test as the B in it does not give you as much of an impact as a decent drop onto a rock will. Anyways, I'd run it on a rig that's ocassionally offroad and just does not want to risk accidental damage. If you wheel regularly..... think beefier.

Looks good. I likey. Only thing I would change (as said before) would be to put some tube down the side to keep "stuff" off the door handles. If that makes sense. Did you coat the inside with anything or did you leave it bare steel?

I bent these homemade sliders at Crozet when I slipped over a big rock and there was a 3' drop on the other side of it. I made the sliders out of 2x4x3/16 tubing with solid stock 1 1/4x1 1/4 mounting point full length at the pinch seam(10 grade8 5/16" bolts) and 3 1 1/14x1 1/4x1/4 legs. If you hit the right thing the wrong way there will be trouble with those. They will work fine for mild to moderate wheelin' but you never really know sometimes what your getting into.

I say kudo's to being inovative and looking for new ways to do things and thinking outside of the box. They just need more beef.

bentsliderhp1.jpg

Thanks Brian for the sliders!

They look great!

I am sure they will be plenty of protection for wheelin'.

I get to test them out on the 21st at Hillz and Hollarz so I will let everyone know about how they test in the field. I have faith in them though.

Got a few more pics of the Finished Product. This application works great for this 21 yr old waggie. Just to show he wasn't working with much left on these.

Before

20pefqs.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

After

DSC03256.jpg

DSC03258.jpg

DSC03259.jpg

DSC03257.jpg

Plan on priming and Painting next. I will Rhino up to the woody panel. And You probably wont even be able to tell that they are there. I still need to trim the fender a lil more but this is definitly and great improvement.

I'd like to see how they hold up to being jacked up and dropped down onto a jackstand or something to simulate dropping onto a rock or ledge. Great idea for replacing rusty rockers, but like the others I'm a bit skeptical as to how it will perform under stress.

Dave41079 said:
I'd like to see how they hold up to being jacked up and dropped down onto a jackstand or something to simulate dropping onto a rock or ledge. Great idea for replacing rusty rockers, but like the others I'm a bit skeptical as to how it will perform under stress.

Well Like I said I am going wheelin here in a few weeks and I will let yall know how they fair. What is also great about these is that if i need rails in the future or just want them as like a step bar. I can add them on for even more protection. But right now I got strength and not losing any clearance.

But there is not much that will stand the test of time if you drop 4,000 pounds on a rock. I am sure this will hold up for awhile though.

One thing is for sure this guy is innovative and has some fresh new ideas for the XJ. I can't wait to see what it next. I will gladly voluteer to be the guinea pig again.

Thanks Brian

Is that $150 installed at my location? Otherwise seems like a rip off? I can buy lots of 2x4 and 2x6 tube to fill my rockers for 150, and it'll be stronger too.

I would rather dent some 1/4 steel than smash the heck out of some sheet metal rockers. If you don't like them, don't buy any.

How about some door bottom protector plates for your next new product

Tim_MN said:
I would rather TRY TO dent some 1/4 steel than smash the heck out of some sheet metal rockers. If you don't like them, don't buy any.

How about some door bottom protector plates for your next new product

Fixed, And your other Idea is on the list.

fiyerbirdie said:
Is that $150 installed at my location? Otherwise seems like a rip off? I can buy lots of 2x4 and 2x6 tube to fill my rockers for 150, and it'll be stronger too.

ha, try buying tube over there from the durka durkas...

This isnt just plain steel material either, its a piece of trail armor that took time to design, expensive equipment to form, and money to produce. Well worth a buck fifty

Looks good Brian, keep the parts coming!

I'm not sure on the specs, but I think rockratz.com has something similar. I don't know if they use 1/4" for theirs though or how it mounts. Just a lil FYI

GRATE This would really work for people that DON'T want BIG lifts (like me) to maintain max ground clearance. With no or little lift. Stepups are less needed. Plus with out rail supports door guards/stepup may place excessive stress on the attachment points of sliders?????.
Lighter then most but still offer good protection.

Back